Hit Points & Hit Dice Questions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
maulxx

Hit Points & Hit Dice Questions

Post by maulxx »

I'm currently reading through BFrpg & have questions about the Hit Points & Hit Dice section found on page 4 & the class advancement tables starting on page 7.

1. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So, each time a PC advances a level they roll the new, 1 additional hit die, adding any bonus or penalty & this sum is added in to their total pool of HP. Do I have that right?

2. When a PC advances to level 10 how exactly are the hit points applied? Do you just add the fixed +1/+2 or do you roll all hit dice & add the fixed number to it? A cleric advancing to level 10 would be 9d6+1 so do you roll the hit dice & add the 1 or is it just the +1?
Metroknight

Re: Hit Points & Hit Dice Questions

Post by Metroknight »

maulxx wrote:I'm currently reading through BFrpg & have questions about the Hit Points & Hit Dice section found on page 4 & the class advancement tables starting on page 7.

1. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So, each time a PC advances a level they roll the new, 1 additional hit die, adding any bonus or penalty & this sum is added in to their total pool of HP. Do I have that right?
Yes. You have it right.
maulxx wrote:2. When a PC advances to level 10 how exactly are the hit points applied? Do you just add the fixed +1/+2 or do you roll all hit dice & add the fixed number to it? A cleric advancing to level 10 would be 9d6+1 so do you roll the hit dice & add the 1 or is it just the +1?
At level 10 the hit dice is not used for hit points anymore. If you noticed that the HD does not change but the addition does so you just add the additional amount. That means the cleric at 10th level would get the +1 and their + con bonus. At 12th level they get another +1 and their con bonus, etc...

What you are seeing is the sum total of the dice used. If you were to build a 15th level fighter you would need to roll 9d8+12 for it's hit points. The same would apply to a level 15 cleric, you would use 9d6+6 for it's hit points.

I hope I helped.
maulxx

Post by maulxx »

Yes MetroKnight, you helped alot. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Makes sense to just add the flat number after level 9. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
The book says that after 9th level, characters receive a fixed number of hit points per level & that you no longer add the Constitution bonus or penalty.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Please note that the Constitution modifier only applies to the Hit Die, starting at 10th level it no longer modifies the HP gained by level, so, in the example above the cleric only gains 1 hit point, no matter his Con mod.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
maulxx

Post by maulxx »

Understood & thank you Dimirag.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

OOPs. Sorry, that was a house rule in a few games I was in and it sometimes pops up in my explanations. The core rules was explained correctly so sorry for my mistake.
maulxx

Post by maulxx »

No worries MetroKnight. Thanks again for the help. I'm just trying to stay as close to RAW as I can to see how the game feels.
maulxx

Post by maulxx »

I have another question. How do you determine a monster's hit points? An Orc, for example, deals 1d8 damage but how many hits does it take to kill it?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

A monster has 1d8 per hit die, plus any shown bonus, some monsters uses lesser die or flat values values, for example

Orc: Hit Dice: 1 -> 1d8 hit points
Cloud Giant: Hit Dice: 12+3 -> 12d8+3 hit points
Kobold: Hit Dice: 1d4 -> 1d4 hit points
Bat: Hit Dice: 1 hit point -> 1 Hit point
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
maulxx

Post by maulxx »

So unless a monster has flat HPs assigned then you roll it's hit die/dice + any bonus to get it's hit points?