Hi!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Griff

Hi!

Post by Griff »

Thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I've been visiting the board for a few months and looking over the BFRPG rules, but haven't had time to do very much with the system. Now looking forward to simplifying the 3.5/Pathfinder game that we currently have going as the rules just take way too much of our time. Our group is just our family right now, myself, wife, son and daughter, all of whom get pretty involved with their character's development. Still have a few concerns with the system, but the supplemental material seems to answer a lot of the questions that we have and I'm planning to incorporate as much as fits our play style.

One question: I'm thinking about having at least a couple of copies of the rules printed for our use once I've included everything that's needed. Does anyone know if there is a statement on the web site or in the document that allows printing? Most of the per-job printers that I've looked at want a clear statement that it's okay to reprint, but I haven't run across it so far.

Thanks for a great system. I hope to contribute some material (items and spells mainly) as time goes on.
dymondy2k

Re: Hi!

Post by dymondy2k »

Griff.. I'm curious.. are you planning on converting your player's characters to BFRPG or rolling up new ones? I am in a similar situation. I run a campaign with my son and daughter and a few of their friends. I am using the Microlite20 rules and I am planning on moving to BFRPG as well.

I do feel your pain about PF as well. I'm a player in a Serpent's Skull campaign and it seems like we spend about 1/2 our time with our nose in a rule book.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Griff

Post by Griff »

I'm looking at doing some conversions. They're very attached to their characters and I don't want them going into shock. However, I'm going to have to tone some things down. In the grand scheme of things they won't lose anything but they're not going to like the way the numbers appear initially.

My biggest issue is that having such a huge set of rules and SRD available for normal activities has been causing problems with stopping to look up just about everything anyone wants to do. If anyone gains a level, it seems to take about 1-1/2 to 2 hours per character of maintenance to get everything fixed. We've got 3 character generation programs that we've tried to help streamline things but each one gets different totals for skill points, feats, etc. Also, with more books coming out, the kids are really wanting to see them, but at $30+ per book it's just unmanageable.

I've been using some house rules that are reminiscent of 1E anyway as I simply don't have time to research every little thing. I looked at MicroLite but I'm really looking for something with a little more breadth already included and BFRPG seems to fit nicely. A Shaman class is really the only thing I'm missing at the moment, as most of the magic items I hand out are homemade anyway and are more like earrings that let you hear whispers up to 20'.

I'll try to post a bit more as I work up the conversions. The characters are actually pretty over-powered, but I think I can scale everything back after I point out the relative weakness of all of the monsters in BFRPG. It'll take them a while to figure out that there might be a little white lie in that statement.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I'm glad to see I am not the only one fretting about the players being a little underwhelmed with the conversion process. The characters my players are running seem to be a bit overpowered as well, to the fact that even though they will be 'leveling' into the new characters they didn't receive more hitpoints because they are have way to many for BFRPG, even with the additional level.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
theancient

Post by theancient »

I thought Pathfinder was 3.75?
theancient

Post by theancient »

Depends on what "Nation" Totem, and other factors you want to incorporate into the class or a sub -priest class, in my system I worked out a generic as well as "Nation" Shaman. As to conversions from one system I usually look at the "spirit" of the system and go from there since it becomes cumbersome to cross reference each task or point, Good luck.
Evil Genius Prime

Post by Evil Genius Prime »

theancient wrote:I thought Pathfinder was 3.75?
It is essentially. It's more fine-tuned and streamlined than 3.5, but it's nowhere near as "video game like" as 4.0.
theancient

Post by theancient »

That is one version I will never try.