Mounted combat

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Metroknight

Mounted combat

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:12 pm

I have a game that one of the players is going attempt mounted melee combat against others that are mounted also. What should I consider for modifiers.

The PC is mounted on a warhorse and the enemy is mounted on wolves. The enemy will be charging down a hillside while the PC will be waiting till the last moment to engage the enemy.

What should I rule for the mechanics?

I found the knight class and horseman class abilities but nothing about the actual combat modifiers, any help?
Knights of the Written Word 2 is a friendly Roll20 community created for those that prefer written text games or have difficulty with voice games (for physical, mental, emotional, or technical reasons).
SmootRK

Re: Mounted combat

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Use 'Charging Rules' on p.45 (mounted combatants often get the charge bonus). This is one of the major benefits of riding.

Charge = +2 bonus to hit (after at least 10' movement in straight line to target). Successful hit = double damage. Charging person takes -2 penalty to AC after charge.
Set Against Charge does double damage. Person who is set against charge cannot move and must have equal or better initiative, waiting for 'attacker'... therefore simultaneous attacks.

Otherwise, mounted combat has no special benefit other than movement is based upon Mount instead of rider, and the Mount may have its own attacks. When someone is mounted, I assume the rider and his mount roll initiative as one (rider rolls as he is the one guiding the mount's movements).

My house rules or rule clarifications that may come up:
HR: Mount must be trained for mounted combat in order to coordinate attacks with rider. Otherwise, rider only gets attacks and those attacks are made at -2 penalty. Intelligent Mounts (close or near human intelligence) are automatically considered trained for combat.
HR: An untrained mount that takes damage must roll morale immediately, and usually attempts to flee the vicinity after a failed check. A rider may regain control 2 rounds after the mount feels that it safe from immediate attacks.
clarification: Rider/Mount roll initiative as one (per rider).
clarification: Rider and Mount attacks are effectively simultaneous and generally must all be against same target.
HR: All attacks are against rider unless mount is specifically targeted.
HR: An attack that misses the rider by 1 or 2 are applied against mount instead (using same result; a near miss against rider often hits the mount).
clarification: a rider/mount is considered large (for most combinations like horses) for purposes of fighting against small humanoids like Halflings, generally giving those races a small defensive bonus).
HR: A mount is large enough compared to rider to allow the rider to "set against charge" using mount and an appropriate weapon (lance, spear, etc.) Rider/Mount must remain stationary.
clarification: Usually during a charge the rider attacks with charge bonus but the mount does not get its attacks during the charge. It is possible that some mounts have the ability to charge by their own accord. In this situation, the rider and mount do not get to apply charge effects at the same time. One or the other charges, and the other does not make any attacks.

Knights (from supplement) get +2 on attacks while mounted as does the Mount.

Jousting HR: Attackers ride applying a Charge against each other. (+2 for double damage), however since all attacks are being done simultaneously the AC penalty does not apply except for any other attacks that may be applied to either side by third parties. When a jouster is hit by the other jouster he must make a save versus Death Ray (however CON does not modify this save) or else be un-horsed and land prone upon the ground. Each 5 points of damage dealt gives a -1 penalty to the save. If save is failed by 4 or more, then the un-horsed individual is also stunned for 2 rounds (-2 penalty to AC as well as loss of DEX bonus if applicable and -2 penalty to attacks). If save is failed by 8 or more the individual is Knocked Out completely. Jousts may be done using subdual damage instead of lethal damage (which is often the case in tournaments), generally by using blunted lances.
Last edited by SmootRK on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: added Jousting info
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
SmootRK

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Of course, I am sure others may have some different takes on this.

Metroknight

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:05 pm

thank you for you house rules
Knights of the Written Word 2 is a friendly Roll20 community created for those that prefer written text games or have difficulty with voice games (for physical, mental, emotional, or technical reasons).
Joe the Rat

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm

I'd be inclined to do something with reach in melee vs. foot troops, +1AC for rider, negated by Large melee weapons (Polearms!), but I think it'd just complicate things.
SmootRK wrote: clarification: Usually during a charge the rider attacks with charge bonus but the mount does not get its attacks during the charge. It is possible that some mounts have the ability to charge by their own accord. In this situation, the rider and mount do not get to apply charge effects at the same time. One or the other charges, and the other does not make any attacks.
And that is why everyone wants a Unicorn. Built in lance.
SmootRK

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:25 am

Joe the Rat wrote:I'd be inclined to do something with reach in melee vs. foot troops, +1AC for rider, negated by Large melee weapons (Polearms!), but I think it'd just complicate things.
SmootRK wrote: clarification: Usually during a charge the rider attacks with charge bonus but the mount does not get its attacks during the charge. It is possible that some mounts have the ability to charge by their own accord. In this situation, the rider and mount do not get to apply charge effects at the same time. One or the other charges, and the other does not make any attacks.
And that is why everyone wants a Unicorn. Built in lance.
Yes. And in fantasy, I think one might see dwarves on war rams, mounted rhinos trampling people, and much more.

Anyhow, Joe the Rat, these house-rules and clarifications might find a home in the equipment guide (animals/mounts sections, along with info about quality animal/mounts found in another thread). Feel free to utilize and/or clarify/expand upon this info.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Hmm. More likely, if you play it the way I wrote it, gnomes on war rams. Though I could see the dwarves riding them too.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:12 am

Yes... Dwarves on (war) Rams, although I imagine some sort mega-mountain ram sort of breed. In a fantasy world, I could imagine there are breeds of animals corresponding to a race with nearly as much variability as we (humans that is) have with horses/dogs/etc.

So, in my mind or in my sort of campaigns:
Dwarves breed a number of mountain Ram breeds, up to and including massive Draft/Pack Rams (analogous to Clydesdale Horse).
Halflings (getting inspiration from LotR movies) are much like humans, although they improvise with animals in various ways. For instance, they might plow fields using a hog/pig instead of Oxen. Ponies are obviously a better choice than a full-size Horse, and they might have specialized pony breeds.
Elves might be better suited to ride various woodland creatures such as Deer or Elk. I could even imagine some sort of War Moose, albeit it might sound odd at first.

Of course, for Humanoids there are the traditional fantasy combinations such as Goblins on Wolves/Worgs. There could be more ideas, such as Orcs riding some sort of Riding/War Boar (good for eating as well). I doubt an Ogre would have many mount options, but I remember long ago having an Full-Plated 1/2 Ogre riding a Wooly Rhino using a massive lance, and otherwise acting much like Knight (perhaps a tad slow in the head, but he was a minion of a powerful Archmage antagonist I used). And then there are the Fauns riding the dryads (whoops, my dirty mind slips again).