Playing a Werewolf

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Tyerti

Playing a Werewolf

Post by Tyerti »

I've been thinking of getting into an RPG for a while as I've never played one really but I have wanted to for some time and I found Basic Fantasy to be a good start :) As we were reading through the PDF my brother asked if he could play a werewolf, maybe not from the start but maybe get bitten later on. I was wondering, if we were to allow this, exactly how would it work, or could it? Like what stats would we add to the character?
Baldheaded-Yeti

Re: Playing a Werewolf

Post by Baldheaded-Yeti »

This is from the monster part of the rule book.

Nothing is set in stone.

As GM you allow what you want in the game.

I don't think that there is a supplement to cover were-players.

Yet :D
=====================================================
Lycanthrope*
Lycanthropes are humans who can transform themselves
into animals. In its natural form, a lycanthrope looks like
any other human, though those who have been afflicted
for a long time tend to acquire features reminiscent of their
animal forms. In animal form, a lycanthrope resembles a
powerful version of the normal animal, but on close
inspection, its eyes (which often glow red in the dark)
show a faint spark of unnatural intelligence.
Lycanthropy is spread like a disease. Any human who
loses half or more of his or her hit points due to
lycanthrope bite and/or claw attacks will subsequently
contract the same form of lycanthropy in 3d6 days. For
demi-humans and humanoids, contracting the disease is
fatal in the same time period. A cure disease cast before
the onset is complete will stop the progress of the disease,
but once the time has elapsed, the transformation is
permanent.
In animal form, lycanthropes may be hit only by silver or
magical weapons.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
Tyerti

Post by Tyerti »

Thanks for the reply :) I was thinking of adding the Werewolf's stats onto the character but I thought that'd probably be too strong so I might have them increase based on level... Well it's something to think about anyway :P
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I suppose it depends on whether being a werewolf is more about having a nifty power (wolf transformation) than having a curse. If its more curse-like, he may not actually get to control the character in wolf-form - or should play it as more of a dangerous monster than a team player.

It's definitely something to balance with other players, but if this ends up being more beneficial overall...
His human form has his normal class hit dice/hit points.
Definitely have the wolf form use hit dice (And BAB) equivalent to his character level... or keep his normal BAB.
If he keeps control, use his class savings throws, not the Fighter:4.
Normally, clothing and equipment do not change with the lycanthrope. Magic may help with that, if you can find it.

If you are starting above level 1, he could start with an XP penalty, or with fewer starting treasures. Alternatively, having the "occasionally loses control during full moons, contagious lycanthropy is a danger to others, curse may qualify him as "Evil" in regard to certain spells and magics" element could be sufficient limitations.

Good Luck!
Go with a smile!
Legolas117

Post by Legolas117 »

I just had this exact doubt and what I did was go to the 3.5 SRD and check there lycanthropy. In my case I'm gonna follow some of the rules from there (the most light ones):
  • +2 to AC
  • Add animal HD to PC current health
  • Low-light vision in both forms
  • The capacity of turn half way and be a hybrid
  • In animal or hybrid form you may only be hit by silver or magical weapons (this one is actually from BasicRPG)
  • And basically all the rules about when to turn, whether or not you know you have the disease and all that (I just like the flavor of them)
If you wanna check out the web I found the info https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lyc ... Affliction
Hey, all good?
Snarkythekobold

Post by Snarkythekobold »

If I was going to do this, I would simply use one set of stats as a human fighter or whatever and the standard werewolf stats when the PC transformed into a werewolf.

However, I would also come up with a random table for every time he transformed. Maybe he could transform at night, on a full moon, or just whenever there was overwhelming danger

1) Bezerk! The Werewolf attacks the PC closest to him
2) Half-Bezerk! The Werewolf attacks the PC closest to him every 4 rounds
3) In control! The PC is able to control the werewolf's actions
4) Fear flight! The werewolf runs towards the nearest woods for 4 rounds/ roll again after 4 rounds
5) Bezerker rage! The werewolf retains the PC's friendly attitude towards fellow PC's but rages after any nearby enemies. +4 on all attack rolls for the werewolf
6) In control! The PC is able to control the werewolf's actions for 4 rounds/ roll again after 6 rounds

The GM would have some work cut out to keep the rounds and effects consistent but it would probably be a hoot to play. I've done something similar with a NPC and it was fun
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

It really depends on what kind of werewolf you want to play, something like Castlevania's Cornell, like Darkstalker's Jon Talbain that have some control over their hybrid form or more like any cursed horror movie character?

I can see it as a quasi-class (maybe a horror theme QC supplement could be cool), with the character being a classed human with the ability to turn into a wolf or werewolf due to mental training, use of an amulet or simply by heritage....
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
borgar

Post by borgar »

Just as a curiosity, there was a BECMI supplement that included lyncantrop player classs, the Night Howlers (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... lers-Basic) which might be possible to use for inspiration. I never read it myself, so I have no idea if it's actually usable.
Seven

Post by Seven »

It depends what level the character is.
Full abilities at level 1seems too unbalancing.
Having the character grow into the abilities could be be a lot of roleplaying fun.
You'd go from disappearing on full moon lights, to eventually learning to control the transformation, to gain control in animal form to finally be able to assume hybrid form.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Oh and isn't beserk rage more a bear thing?
The instinct of a wolf is more about joining a pack, I think.