Keeping track of time

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Blazeguard

Keeping track of time

Post by Blazeguard »

As a noob (both player and DM) I am having trouble figuring out how to keep track of time passage. Any tips, hints, suggestions? I am playing with my kids so it probably won't be super structured anyways but I'm just wondering how others do it.

Ray
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Keeping track of time

Post by Solomoriah »

In my head, generally. Less than entirely accurately, and that works fine... except in combat, when everything goes to rounds.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
prongbuck

Post by prongbuck »

Hi Blazeguard, I recently had trouble keeping track of time as well. As Solomoriah suggests, I keep track of time in my head when my group is not in "adventure" mode, ie. not in a dungeon or on some time critical task.

When the party is in a dungeon and I want to keep track of time for lights sources burning out, spells, wandering monster checks, etc., I use a time tracker sheet I created, you can get it here.

I am currently working on a second, enhanced, version.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

That time tracker sheet looks great. It looks like just the sort of thing I need.
What sort of enhancements are you working on?

Ray
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
prongbuck

Post by prongbuck »

The time tracker works fine, I just found that I didn't need so much space just for tracking time so I am adding a spot for tracking marching order, spell durations, a spot for 1 or 2 wandering monster tables and I made it portrait instead of landscape.

I am open to suggestions if you have any. My goal is to create a tool to make my games run smoother so this sheet will evolve as I find what works and what doesn't for me.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

That sounds awesome! I'm fairly new to all of this but I'm definitely going to test this out and if I find anything that could be improved upon I will definitely throw out some suggestions.
Thanks for offering this btw.

Ray