How many boulders should giants hold/have available?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
black1blade

How many boulders should giants hold/have available?

Post by black1blade »

So running saga of the giants still (we've done the hill giants but only just started the stone giants due to some sidetracking and a few month break due to exams and people going on holiday) and obviously the more powerful giant's ability to throw rocks is a very strong and devastating attack. Of course for them to throw boulders they have to have boulders available to them so how many should I say they are generally holding or to be more extreme, should they only be able to throw them if they pick them up from the ground or if there is a pile in the corner?
Caelestis

Re: How many boulders should giants hold/have available?

Post by Caelestis »

I've never had that problem but off the top of my head I would run it something like this.

I'd start with where they are. So have they come across them in some lair or trap in which case they may have a stockpile.

If that isn't a go-er then I would look at what the current scenery etc. is like, could they improvise (rip up other suitably nasty objects and throw those etc.

If none of the above were options I personally would say they could have one in each hand and then they would be down to smashing.

Just my tuppence worth :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sounds about right to me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post by Longman »

Definitely a situational call. If they are out hunting they might have a bag with 3-4 each. On the way back from hunting, maybe only one left. In a trap or likely defensible spot, a whole pile. Caught napping or otherwise occupied in the lair, none.

You could use a short cut and say 1d3, or 1d4-1, or something like that. Or you could make it up. The fun part would be that the players could see this, and gauge their chances.

How did you find the Hill Giant part? I am thinking of playing Saga of the Giants at some point.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

It took us nearly 5 months to get through, although we do get sidetracked alot.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."