How do you level multi-class characters?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: How do you level multi-class characters?

Post by SmootRK »

Olgabelle wrote:In other words, the combo-class XP rules work fine, I say leave them as written.
This is a very bright young person. You are very welcome around here!

Many or even most individuals feel like they immediately need to modify core elements into what has been offered in some of the newer game editions. So seeing someone, especially of your youthfulness share something so insightful is refreshing.

For myself, I am a very big proponent of "more stuff" for the game, but not necessarily in the area of more (or more complex) rules... just more stuff. More spells, more races, more monsters, (even more classes or class options done right, though not everyone else here likes that part)... more More MORE.

In other words, thanks for joining our little niche of gaming. Already great to have you around.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Olgabelle

Post by Olgabelle »

Thank you for the nice reply.

My urges to start tweaking stuff in Basic D&D were what led me to check out BFRPG. I started getting bored with race as class characters and wanted a little variety of options. Other things like ascending AC don't bother me either way.

The only big change I've made in BFRPG so far is allowing open combo class options, any race can pick any two class combo from their allowed classes, except that Magic User cannot combo with Fighter, for Elves or Humans. That package of abilities in an Elf is one thing I don't like about Basic D&D, and now I can limit it.
hotdogthebarbarian

Post by hotdogthebarbarian »

I wonder if I missed some explanation about the combination classes available to elves. Please let me know if I've got it right:

1. A level 1/1 elf fighter/magic-user has 1d6 HP.
2. He needs 4500 XP to level up. Once gained, the elf is now a 2/2 level fighter/magic-user.
2. Attack bonuses, spells, and saving throws reflect whichever is better of the either the fighter or magic-user class.
3. Once the elf reaches 2/2 fighter/magic-user, then he gains only 1d6 hit points.

The last one makes me suspect I missed something. The elf F/MU is going to fall behind the other PCs in HP fast and far if I have the rules correct. Is this right?
orobouros

Post by orobouros »

hotdogthebarbarian wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:44 am The last one makes me suspect I missed something. The elf F/MU is going to fall behind the other PCs in HP fast and far if I have the rules correct. Is this right?
Yes and no. At, say, 100,000 XP, your fighter would be at level 7, your magic user at 7, and your F/MU at level 6. Not a huge difference. And each would have approximately 31, 17, and 21 HP. Your F/MU has only a few more HP than the MU, but does have access to far better armor and weapons. The F/MU is still far behind the Fighter in melee, but can cast 7 spells that the Fighter cannot.

An important note here is that a Fighter/Thief combo is pretty much always worse off. At equivalent XP, the Thief is a better fighter than a F/T and has access to better thief abilities.
hotdogthebarbarian

Post by hotdogthebarbarian »

Thanks Orobouros.
Olgabelle

Post by Olgabelle »

I think people overcomplicate this by using AD&D terms and ideas for it. In BFRPG you don't have two classes, you have 1 combo-class. In other words, you're not a 1/1 Fighter/Magic User, you're a level 1 Fighting Magic User. You add the XP requirements for both classes to get the requirement for your one new class. Once you hit 4500, you are level 2 Fighting Magic User and get your new hit points, attack bonuses, saving throws, etc. If you think of it that way, it's very easy and intuitive.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:24 pm The "clumped-together" way is the canonical version, i.e. the actual rule for BFRPG. You may, of course, do as you wish in your own game, but if you want to know how it's supposed to work... that's how.
This is the way I run it. It also mimics the old "elf" class from B/X, if I am not mistaken.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Blorpy

Post by Blorpy »

An alternative version of the combo class that I wrote for my players as an option, which was not really meant to supplant the default combo classes, was to have ‘alternating classes’. The idea is that you would level at a faster rate but would end up weaker and more of a Jack-of-all-trades than the standard method.

How it works is you add the xp of both classes of a given level, divide by 2, and then alternate between levelling each of your two classes until you get to a cumulative level 20, which would actually be level 10 in both classes.

For instance, you could get to be a level 20 thief/magic-user with 1,462,500 xp rather than 2,925,000 xp as per the standard version, but you would only have the abilities of a level 10 thief and a level 10 magic-user combined (but the attack rolls and saving throws of a level 20 character).

As I said, it’s not really meant to replace the normal rules, and my players are free to choose those if they prefer them, since either version is going to be a trade-off.
Brimstone

Post by Brimstone »

When I figured out how Combo Classes worked in BFRPG it blew me away with the simplicity of it. :D