How would you rule this ?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
mTeasdale

How would you rule this ?

Post by mTeasdale »

I'm currently running JN2: Monkey Island and one of my player is a druid. She will, I'm pretty sure, try to cast Animal Friendship on a dinosaur and I'm on the fence about wether or not the spell should affect it. What's your opinion guys ?
SmootRK

Re: How would you rule this ?

Post by SmootRK »

I would be a yes, it is OK to animal friendship on a dinosaur. Likewise, if a MU desired a familiar (if such options are available) I would be OK for a very small dinosaur to fill that role. Seems completely legit considering the environment the characters are in.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Animal Friendship works on animals
Dinosaurs are animals
If the druid can manage to make the attempt to befriend the dinosaur so be it, if the roll is successful then the druid has a new friend!

Note that the dinosaur will be friendly towards the druid and not the rest of the party and that not necessarily it will become into te Druid's bodyguard
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
teaman

Post by teaman »

All good replies. And don't forget about DEVIL DINOSAUR AND MOON BOY.

That's an obscure one.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Delver

Post by Delver »

I would say Yes, but then keep in mind that dinosaurs ought to be very primal and driven by instinct much more than more 'evolved' animals in the world. Like the old cartoon that said 'bears say it with a slap', a dinosaur might violently nuzzle the druid, in a friendly way of course... ;-)
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman
Longman

Post by Longman »

I would definitely say yes, on the rule of cool.

The problem is that many of the dinosaurs encountered are going to be too high HD to qualify, and, their saves vs spells are going to be pretty good, so it would often fail to work.

I'd give the druid a decent chance of knowing, based on the dinosaur's size, whether the spell was likely to work.

The spell description in the druid supplement indicates that the creature would remain near the caster for a full hour without attacking or moving much, before the save. This could be useful even if the final save did actually fail. You could potentially delay a dinosaur while the rest of the party did something else.

(I'm assuming that only occurs if the dinosaur is within the right HD range. Otherwise the spell would fail right away, not after an hour.)
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Well we'll see this on monday ! Thanks for the advices !