Just a thought that hit me about martial art classes

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Metroknight

Just a thought that hit me about martial art classes

Post by Metroknight »

I was just reading the martial arts supplement and the great way adept supplement when this thought/idea hit me. I was not to enthused about those classes as they seem overpowered to me so I was thinking about why not just use the core rules and the combat option supplement to represent those classes.

Choose the Fighter class and request to use the combat option supplement.
Choose the following from the combat options (more could be chosen also)

1. Weapon specialization (unarmed or empty hand)
2. Unarmored Combat
3. Light Weapon
4. Two Weapon

This will allow most players to be able to roleplay a Martial Artist as it is more about the context of the description than the mechanical advantages of the system. Those for things are the most commonly seen options used in martial arts movies.

You could use the other classes combined with those options to represent other oriental type classes also. Use the thief or assassin for a ninja type character. Use the cleric and the options to build a spiritual monk like character. Instead of a deity, you could use a belief system (as per the core rules (pg 7/(11 pdf) about the clerics).

Again it is just a thought that hit me while reading supplements.
artikid

Re: Just a thought that hit me about martial art classes

Post by artikid »

Well the GWA was never intended to be a realistic/believable martial artist class. If that's what you want the suggestions you make are the sensible way to go.

The Adept is the kind of over-the-top wuxia/Wire Fu martial artist.
If you want to play "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" the GWA is for you, and if balance is what you are looking for just make sure that all PC and most notable NPCs are some kind of GWA combination class, even if human.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I never thought GWA was wrong or broken, just not the style I was looking to add into my games. I had thought the Martial Artist supplement I saw on the site would be closer to what I wanted but again it had more of a mystical bend to it, with the chi and such, then what I was looking for.

Neither supplement is wrong for what they are written for, they just are not for me. Plus it was just a thought I had that I wanted to post. Sorry if it seemed I was negative as that was not my intent.
artikid

Post by artikid »

Hi Metroknight,
Don't worry, no offence taken. I was simply providing some insight on the whys and wherefores of the GWA.
Rock on
Artikid
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The Combat Options are for that exactly, shape your fighter into the warrior you like him to be.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/