Hello! Few questions by a n00b

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Ibex Mantis

Hello! Few questions by a n00b

Post by Ibex Mantis »

Hello dear BFRPG members!

I have downloaded the rules, and read the book, but there were a lot of terms and rules which i couldn't understand as a noob in GMing (I almost never played RPG's with rules).
Also, i play this game with figures and maps, and i'm not sure it is the way to do it.

1) in page 44 it is written that "Each character or creature involved in combat may move if desired up to its encounted movement distance...."
Is that mean that a player can move all the way to the nearest enemy in only 1 turn?
if so i am a bit confused, as i ask "so what is the benefit of ranged weapons in that case?"
also it is written that "... once two opposing figures are within 5 feet if each other, they are 'engaged' and must be..."
So why woud such a thing happen at all, if a combatent can come all the way to the enemy?

2) What is Movement Rate? it is not described anywhere, from what iv'e seen, and it really makes me hard time to understand how movement in combat works (espacially with figures, as i am not sure how to translate "feet" into the hexes or squares of the battle field board)

3) What is the use of the classes base damage? i mean, whatever terms the damage is the weapon used + the correct modifier... right? :roll:

Thx fer yer time, mates! :D
Metroknight

Re: Hello! Few questions by a n00b

Post by Metroknight »

Ibex Mantis wrote:Hello dear BFRPG members!

1) in page 44 it is written that "Each character or creature involved in combat may move if desired up to its encounted movement distance...."
Is that mean that a player can move all the way to the nearest enemy in only 1 turn?
It is actually its encounter movement. you can find that on page 36 in the movement and encumbrance section.
Ibex Mantis wrote:if so i am a bit confused, as i ask "so what is the benefit of ranged weapons in that case?"
Bows and crossbow have a range that spans several rounds of movement distance.
Ibex Mantis wrote:also it is written that "... once two opposing figures are within 5 feet if each other, they are 'engaged' and must be..."
So why woud such a thing happen at all, if a combatent can come all the way to the enemy?
That is what defines melee or sword reach distance. If you get within 5 ft of someone you can hit them with a sword, a club, an axe, etc...
Ibex Mantis wrote:2) What is Movement Rate? it is not described anywhere, from what iv'e seen, and it really makes me hard time to understand how movement in combat works (espacially with figures, as i am not sure how to translate "feet" into the hexes or squares of the battle field board)
Read page 36. It contains information about movement rate.

The scale of the squares and hexes will indicate how many feet it takes to move 1 hex or square. If you have a scale of 5 ft squares and you have a character with 30 ft combat move, you will move them 6 squares. In that same scale if you have a bow that shoots 150 ft, you can target an opponent out to 30 squares (that would take a character multiple rounds of running to reach that opponent to attack with a hand held weapon).
Ibex Mantis wrote:3) What is the use of the classes base damage? i mean, whatever terms the damage is the weapon used + the correct modifier... right? :roll:

Thx fer yer time, mates! :D
Classes don't have base damage. Weapons have base damage. It is their die amount+strength bonus (if it is melee)+magical bonus (if applicable). Classes do have base hit dice and it is Fighter 1d8, Cleric 1d6, and Magic-user / Thieves 1d4. You add your constitution bonus to the roll.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Hello and welcome!
If your movement is high enough, then yes.
so what is the benefit of ranged weapons in that case?
Ranged weapons allows you to attack from ranges longer than a standard opponent's movement (a longbow has a range of 70/140/210 while movement has normally a range between 10 and 40 feet.
once two opposing figures are within 5 feet if each other, they are 'engaged' and must be..."
Once "engaged" the combatants can't move freely outside of the engagement.
What is Movement Rate? it is not described anywhere...
Page 36 Dungeon Adventures - Movement and Encumbrance gives a character's movement rate.
What is the use of the classes base damage?
There is no "class base damage", a class gives what weapons can use and it's attack bonus (how well it uses those weapons)
Weapon damage is base on the weapon used and can be modified by abilities (depending on weapon used)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Ibex Mantis

Post by Ibex Mantis »

Thank you very much for your help :D :D :D