Initiative Dilemma?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dimirag

Re: Initiative Dilemma?

Post by Dimirag »

Simultaneous acting is far from a "bad" thing, it could be difficult to rule in some scenarios (A is moving to hit B while B moves to hit C) and may require case by case rulings.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Obombo

Post by Obombo »

Dimirag wrote:...it could be difficult to rule in some scenarios (A is moving to hit B while B moves to hit C) and may require case by case rulings.
Usually it's easy. Every once in a while the DM has to be on his toes. But, it is far easier for the players as they don't get into figuring how to optimize for the rules but just state what they want to try. After doing it for over 3 decades it is second nature for me. :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Don't forget the effects of reach when two opponents are closing. Just because you have the same number doesn't mean you hit at the same time... I'd be darn careful going after a spear-wielder with a shortsword, for example.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Obombo

Post by Obombo »

Solomoriah wrote:Don't forget the effects of reach when two opponents are closing. Just because you have the same number doesn't mean you hit at the same time... I'd be darn careful going after a spear-wielder with a shortsword, for example.
This is where my "common sense, over rules the rules" comes in. A few times over the decades I've pulled out styrofoam swords and push broom handles (long ones) and what not, to graphically demonstrate to players the concept of "reach". Also to show what happens when you have a long spear and after the initial strike how a person with a short sword works inside while you have to back pedal...