AC used when oil flasks are thrown?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
black1blade

AC used when oil flasks are thrown?

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:59 am

Do oil flasks have to surpass a creature's full AC ,including armour worn, to hit them with an oil flask?
Metroknight

Re: AC used when oil flasks are thrown?

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:00 am

pg 49 (pg 53 pdf) says "A flask of oil can be used as a grenade-like missile." and "a direct hit to a creature deals 1d8 points of fire damage, plus in the next round the target takes an additional 1d8 points of damage" so one would assume it is a simple range attack that is muscle powered.

It goes on further down in the next paragraph "If the oil is ignited by some sort of wick or fuse, then all other creatures within 5 feet of the point of impact receive 1d6 points of fire damage from the splash. A save vs. Death Ray is allowed to avoid this damage." which means any of the targets friends would get hit with a splash attack.

It also continues about using the Grenade-like Missiles (pg 47/ pg 51pdf) if you missed your target.
Knights of the Written Word 2 is a friendly Roll20 community created for those that prefer written text games or have difficulty with voice games (for physical, mental, emotional, or technical reasons).
black1blade

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:13 pm

But you have to hit the target AC of the thing you are throwing at to get a hit right? Say if I threw an oil flask at a fighter in plate armour, I would have to get a 17 to hit?
Dimirag

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:39 pm

Yes, if used as a ranged weapon it needs to hit the intended victim by surpassing its AC.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Metroknight

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Ah, I understand now what you are meaning. Pg46 (50 pdf) How to Attack says "If the total is equal to or greater than the opponent's Armor Class, the attack hits and damage is rolled. A natural “1” on the die roll is always a failure. A natural “20” is always a hit, if the opponent can be hit at all". The next pg talks about missile fire but that is mostly modifier talk.
Knights of the Written Word 2 is a friendly Roll20 community created for those that prefer written text games or have difficulty with voice games (for physical, mental, emotional, or technical reasons).
Clever_Munkey

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:24 pm

If you don't think it makes sense (which I don't) then you can house rule it (which I do). I use 11 + Dex modifier as the target AC.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:22 pm

A shield should work. You should have at least a chance to deflect a thrown flask; remember, these flasks survive in your backpack without breaking. Angling the shield so the flask slides along it rather than hitting it directly is surely worth a +1 to AC.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
black1blade

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:36 pm

I mean it coouulld to do the same thing to armour. Makes oil flasks even more powerful if they hit on touch AC too.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Man, do I hate the phrase "touch AC." Sounds so wrong... like something that the creepy guy in the dirty trenchcoat would be thinking about.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:29 pm

"Stalkfinder" RPG?

Probably a niche there.