I am using BFRG rules for my roguelike.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Lobotomist

I am using BFRG rules for my roguelike.

Post by Lobotomist »

Hi Chris.

I have found Basic Fantasy RPG and decided to use it as ruleset for a graphic roguelike game I am developing.

The game is supposed to be wink to the old school PC RPG gaming , and OD&D :)

http://mega-dungeon.blogspot.com/

But D20 rules come as much more natural system. There for I was super happy to find BFRPG. I can give it the best compliment : It so good I wanted to do it myself ;)

So. In short I would be honored to use your system. And it will be clearly advertised.

Lets hope it benefits us both :)

But alas. I have few questions.

Why there are only 20 levels ? And how can i expand it to reach higher levels featured in OD&D ?

I have seen exp reward discrepancies between OD&D and BFRPG . Why ?

Also , why Magic-User is limited to only lvl 6 spells ? Did you find a problem in higher lvl spells ?

Hopefully you have answers for me. I would hate to unbalance your system.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: I am using BFRG rules for my roguelike.

Post by Solomoriah »

Lobotomist wrote:Hi Chris.

I have found Basic Fantasy RPG and decided to use it as ruleset for a graphic roguelike game I am developing.

The game is supposed to be wink to the old school PC RPG gaming , and OD&D :)

http://mega-dungeon.blogspot.com/

But D20 rules come as much more natural system. There for I was super happy to find BFRPG. I can give it the best compliment : It so good I wanted to do it myself ;)

So. In short I would be honored to use your system. And it will be clearly advertised.

Lets hope it benefits us both :)
Thanks for the kind words!
Lobotomist wrote:But alas. I have few questions.

Why there are only 20 levels ? And how can i expand it to reach higher levels featured in OD&D ?
Hah. Let's look at that from several standpoints:

The ORIGINAL game only went to level 6. BX ran to level 14. BECM ran to level 36. When I created BFRPG, it was my plan to support old-school play, and old-school games rarely if ever got to that peak of level 14; if they did, by then the game had shifted to 1E. I felt that level 14 was too low, but conversely didn't see the need for more than 20 levels or so, so I set the limit there. I crafted all the tables (attack bonus, saving throws, etc.) to support that limit. If you want a different number of levels, you'll have to address that by altering those tables.
Lobotomist wrote:I have seen exp reward discrepancies between OD&D and BFRPG . Why ?
Because I wasn't copying any other game (which would be illegal without permission). BFRPG is supposed to support old-school play, and has broad compatibility with the old game materials, but it isn't identical. I calculated exactly how I wanted XP to work, and I wrote the tables that way.
Lobotomist wrote:Also , why Magic-User is limited to only lvl 6 spells ? Did you find a problem in higher lvl spells ?
Didn't find any I liked. Nothing to compel me to add them to the game.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:
Lobotomist wrote:Also , why Magic-User is limited to only lvl 6 spells ? Did you find a problem in higher lvl spells ?
Didn't find any I liked. Nothing to compel me to add them to the game.
And there is some support (through supplements) for some 7th level spells. This supplement also expands the spells per level tables to accommodate such spells for both clerics and magic-users.

As to expanding beyond level 20, it should not be too difficult to extrapolate tables to add more levels. In the case of thief, you might consider adding a few more abilities to the thief (such as reading languages, scribe/forgery, tumble, or others) and use the optional points distribution method of allocating thief abilities (in the core book)... this would spread the available points out to more options (slowing the overall progression if all are taken concurrently, or expanding options during later levels)... allowing for more progress for upper level thief... ie the thief, as written, essentially maxes out by level 20, so something needs to be added, especially for a game emulating a Thief-centric style.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Lobotomist

Post by Lobotomist »

I see. I am more inclined to look at Rules Cyclopedia as my reference ( I guess I'm not as old school as I though I was :lol: ) Hence the question about levels above 20.

But , well.... Being the roguelike game, players to be able to reach much higher levels. And that will be expected...
So I will need to tweak number of things.

Naturally not all skills or spells are well translated to computer game. Like forgery or languages for thief or certain spells for mage. So there will be some tweaking there too.

But good grounds are there. And being computer game , its much easier to playtest. So I am positive we will reach some kind of balance. 8-)

Thanks again for great ruleset , it will find a good home in Megadungeon :D