How to prevent dominance of sleep at low levels?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: How to prevent to dominance of sleep at low levels?

Post Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:01 pm

black1blade wrote:It's an optional rule in one of the supplements.
A very common house rule as well.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
Dimirag

Post Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Changes from the player side may be to obvious and create discomfort, if you go this route you can change the way the spell works by having it affecting a XdY amount of monsters or a XdY of HD.

Depending on where the monster are sleeping passing thru them could be a hindrance, also, if you don't allow "auto-kill hits" hitting one of them could wake up the other creatures due to the screaming.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Woe

Post Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Have the survivors figure it out and buy trumpets, tubas, and a five gallon bucket of Red Bull. Have the party go up against some weak dark elves, undead, and other denizens that don't sleep. Worst of all, have the opposing faction's archers pincushion the magic-user, send assassins against the magic-user, or use a "silence 15' radius" spell against the magic-user.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Is it actually boring for the players, or just for you (the DM)? Just curious.
black1blade

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:01 am

It's boring the players who aren't the magic user I think. It is reducing the casualties though...
Dimirag

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:12 am

You can always fudge a saving throw or two, and once those opponents enters combat... I don't think combat works for "normal sound" :twisted:
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Longman

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:29 pm

black1blade wrote:It's boring the players who aren't the magic user, I think. It is reducing the casualties though...
Hmmm. If the guy is playing sleep totally BTB in your system, and saving peoples' lives by doing that...I'd be inclined to leave it alone, and just see what happens. Chances are good that something bad will happen to him, eventually.

Sleep in this system has a saving throw, at least. Better than in some other OS systems.
Clever_Munkey

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:42 pm

If you don't want to change how the spell works then you have fewer options, but it's probably for the better. I don't like telling my players that they suddenly can't do something because it is working too well.

Of course if he's only preparing sleep he isn't preparing other useful spells like light, detect magic, hold portal, and protection from evil.

I think this is also related to why clerics always prepare healing. It seems like the most useful thing to do because it keeps working so well.

But if their torches go out and they're fumbling around in the dark (even better if it's in combat) some of the other players might encourage preparing a light spell from then on. And if constructs, oozes, and aberrations, that can't be turned or put to sleep, keep putting him on death's door; a shield spell might become his new best friend. Or maybe some unknown entity is occasionally trying to posses him, or an enemy spell caster is trying to charm him or sending summoned creatures to assault him. All of these can be warded off by protection from evil.

I think that if you really want them to stop using sleep exclusively then you have to give them a reason to prepare something else.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:16 pm

Sleep has a radius. Monsters with any sense at all will spread out if they even suspect the spell might be used against them.

And yeah, undead. You can never have too many undead monsters...

:D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
black1blade

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:21 pm

Yeah the spreading out thing would work pretty well to prevent oil and sleep being too good, especially with low level characters as they are still squishy.