Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Jered Taikith

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Jered Taikith »

Yeah. I hadn't even heard about RPG until I was in the Navy. Then I saw a few guys playing it in '78 but they were kind of stand-offish so I shrugged and didn't continue my interest in it until some newer guys came aboard and were into it and they got me into it in '79 around June or so I think. At that time AD&D Players Manual had just come out and the Monster Manual hadn't come out yet. Most people playing it only had their character sheets and the DM usually only had a photocopy of the rules. Later, in '80, things were progressing rapidly and suddenly there were the three AD&D books a few dungeon modules and Dragon Magazine. One guy had the Arduin Grimoire that he was using to supplement the ongoing D&D game. About that time Traveller appeared and we all got into that for a while. Most of the fun in that game though seemed to be in generating the characters. But it was all new and fresh and the rules lawyers hadn't started to take over yet. It was a point of pride in fact that you learned to play fast and loose with the rules to make the game role because the overriding factor was the roleplay above all else.

Thanks for the welcome guys! :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I saw the 1981 Basic and Expert rules in a science fiction magazine. In my area, there were no nerdy things done that I didn't somehow start, it seems, and D&D was one of them. I literally started DMing without ever having played... and yeah, I sucked. Fortunately, none of my players knew any better, and by the time they did, I had managed to improve a little bit.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
konrad13

Post by konrad13 »

Welcome to the site Jered.

I see all these awesome posts of people who've been playing for decades and I feel inadequate some ._.

XD Oh well, I still have a fairly wide breadth of gaming experience (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Star Trek, AD&D 2nd Ed., D&D 3.0/.5, Pathfinder, WHFRPG, Call of Cthulhu, BFRPG, D&D 4E, Iron Kingdoms, FATE, D:tD 40k 7.5E (and epic one, there), LoZ RPG (one game), and a few playtests of the recent D&D Next edition (Not very happy what they did with the Rogue...).

Not bad for only one decade!
Elves take to nature like Orcs take to ugly.

So let me get this straight: You murdered a dragon with a fortress?
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Not bad at all.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
LtTibbles

Post by LtTibbles »

konrad13 wrote:Welcome to the site Jered.

I see all these awesome posts of people who've been playing for decades and I feel inadequate some ._.

XD Oh well, I still have a fairly wide breadth of gaming experience (Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Star Trek, AD&D 2nd Ed., D&D 3.0/.5, Pathfinder, WHFRPG, Call of Cthulhu, BFRPG, D&D 4E, Iron Kingdoms, FATE, D:tD 40k 7.5E (and epic one, there), LoZ RPG (one game), and a few playtests of the recent D&D Next edition (Not very happy what they did with the Rogue...).

Not bad for only one decade!
Doing better than me, I was introduced to D&D when I was 11 through that movie they put out in 2000. My grandma had gotten the movie on DVD and we watched it one afternoon and we all thought it was pretty bad, but I ended up watching the special features and one of the actors was talking about how he played the game and was explaining the rules while they showed art from the 3rd edition books and I felt like I needed to play that game.

Well when I was 13 I found a 3.5 starter set in a local game shot and convinced my friends to play it, I fell in love with it they while they weren't as impressed at first but eventually they warmed up to it and we had some great times. Now I've gotten the chance to play a few more games since then. D&D 3.5, 4th edition, BFRPG, WFRP 2nd and 3rd edition, Dark Heresy, Warrior Rogue and Mage, and a little bit of GURPS. Nowadays I just run BFRPG though, it's one of my favorites especially when I need to introduce new people to pnp games. :)
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

I have played: OD&D, Holmes D&D, B/X D&D, BECMI D&D, Rules Compendium D&D, 1E AD&D, 2E AD&D, 3E D&D, TSGS, Rolemaster, MERP, Alternity, Labyrinth Lord, BFRPG, Castles and Crusades, Delving Deeper, Swords and Wizardry, an Indiana Jones PnP RPG (the one TSR made, I don't remember the name off the top of my head), and OSRIC (technically the same as 1E AD&D).
Last edited by -1warrior on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

konrad13

Post by konrad13 »

Nice list there, warrior :D
Elves take to nature like Orcs take to ugly.

So let me get this straight: You murdered a dragon with a fortress?
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Thanks.

Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

How embarrassing. I don't even know what most of those are though I can guess at a few. It is good, though, to know that our play by post DM is well experienced. :D
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I mostly just like playing fantasy RPGs. I've never really tried any others so I can't swear that I wouldn't want to play them. I've mostly just played BFRPG, LL and B/X. On a lesser scale I've played Chris' Simple Game System (or what ever its called), Castles and Crusades, OD&D, 1e and 2e. I've done 1 shots of 4e, 3.5, Song of Ice and fire, and a few others. But I find that BFRPG is fulfilling all my needs lately. I am currently in two live chat games on Roll20 - BFRPG and LL. I really wish the LL game was using BFRPG, but I make do :).