Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by SmootRK »

You are not the only religious member here. While I cannot boast being ordained, we (my family) are devout. Somewhere there is a thread where I discuss removal of Clerics/Deities/etc. from the game.

One very nice point. Using BFRPG (instead of actual branded D&D) does wonders for putting religious people at ease. The elimination of the onerous Dungeons and Dragons label keeps many from applying negative preconceptions, especially among un-knowledgable religious types who remember the early eighties devil-game. ;)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

SmootRK wrote:You are not the only religious member here. While I cannot boast being ordained, we (my family) are devout. Somewhere there is a thread where I discuss removal of Clerics/Deities/etc. from the game.

One very nice point. Using BFRPG (instead of actual branded D&D) does wonders for putting religious people at ease. The elimination of the onerous Dungeons and Dragons label keeps many from applying negative preconceptions, especially among un-knowledgable religious types who remember the early eighties devil-game. ;)
Absolutely, I have had no problems with D&D then or now. Its a game, pure and simple. Contrary to past perceptions, the church community as a whole is becoming more open to roleplaying games in general. Anyway, I have always enjoyed the genuinne interaction that RPGs provide - You just can't beat the positives that come from a kitchen table!! ;)
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

DiceClown wrote:I think I need to give a heads-up. I am an ordained minister (chaplain really) and my site is geared toward my own RPG creation, "Redeemia" (90% complete) which is an old school format game also.
Interesting. I'd like to see that if you don't mind posting a link. I remember a Christian RPG from about 20-25 years ago that my cousin played, but I can't remember the name and it didn't seem to make a ripple as it disappeared in the gaming community.
DiceClown wrote:So, please do not feel I am a "beat-you-over-the-head-with-a-big-black-bible-kinda-guy" :roll:
But we LIKE that kind of thing here.

Oh, you meant rhetorically beat people over the head. Sorry. My bad.
DiceClown

Post by DiceClown »

That long ago it was probably called "Dragon Raid" by Lambs Bride Project - Since then and much more recent are "SpiritualWarfare" by Golgotha Games and "Holy Lands" by Faith Quest Games. All of these games have somewhat faded away. Dragon Raid still has a website and some followers. Spiritual Warfare and Holy Lands for whatever reason have suddenly stopped. I am just now getting my website up and going Soul Worthy Games and will be taking application for playtesters for Redeemia. ... HOWEVER - I am not spamming the forum intentionally and would not want to make this forum into a "free AD".

As far as the "beat-you-over-the-head" Comment...that is funny! :lol:
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I think it was Dragon Raid, now that you mention it.

Let me know when the website's up. I'd like to at least see the game, though life's pretty busy right now and I'm not sure whether I'll have time for playtesting.
barrick

Post by barrick »

Hi guys im new to this rpg world i have download the basic fantasy core rules and beginning but i dont know how to start playing im new to this and cant find a how to start or i cant understand it so if smeone could please help cause i am a total newb and really want to play bad! THANK YOU!!!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

barrick wrote:Hi guys im new to this rpg world i have download the basic fantasy core rules and beginning but i dont know how to start playing im new to this and cant find a how to start or i cant understand it so if smeone could please help cause i am a total newb and really want to play bad! THANK YOU!!!
I would suggest inquiring with one of these play by post games, and just jumping in. You will get guidance. Otherwise check your local scene for any nearby games. Anything Labrynth Lord, s&w, original d&d editions, will all be similar enough to learn the basics of play with. It is all finer points after that.

And, a hearty welcome!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Barrick, I get the feeling you've never played, or even seen, a paper & pencil RPG before. Let me give you the rundown, and accept my apologies in advance if you already know all this stuff.

A traditional, paper and pencil RPG is played with a group of other people, usually consisting of a Game Master (also known by other names) and two or more players. Before the Internet, people played this sort of game in person, which I suspect is still the most popular way to play. If you play online, you need to find out what rules the GM uses for die rolling before you create a character; in an in-person game, you generally roll your own dice, but online, where the GM can't see your rolls, he or she may expect to make your rolls for you.

Online games may be played in chat rooms (and thus in real time), or as a play-by-post on a forum (which is thus not real time). Sometimes, special game-specific chat programs are used.

One way or another, you need to make contact with someone to play with. As a newbie, your best bet is to find an established group willing to take you on. Sadly, if you want to play in person, you will probably not get to choose what game to play... but if you play online, it is very likely you can find an established Basic Fantasy game to join.

Good luck!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Scientist154

Hello everyone!

Post by Scientist154 »

Hey guys! I got started with Basic Fantasy from a few friends, and now I'm migrating over for some play-by-posts. Hope to have an amazing time.
xav++

Post by xav++ »

You will young man hahahha
Droyson Fillif Level 3 cleric