Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
hurcheon

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by hurcheon »

We getting to talk about what we've played/run?

D&D before it became Original, then AD&D. Empire of the Petal Thone. Gamma World. Chivalry and Sorcery (All editions), The Fantasy Trip, Space Opera, Traveller (plus 2300 and Twilight 2000), Space 1889, Star Frontiers, High Fantasy, Superhero 2044, Original Bunnies and Burrows. Aftermath, Bushido, Daredevils, Privateers and Gentlemen, Swordbearer, Recon, Behind Enemy Lines, Superworld, Stormbringer, Hawkmoon, Call of Cthulhu (3rd - 5th), Tunnels and Trolls, Mercenaries Spies and Private Eyes, Maeltrom, WEG D6 Star Wars, Starships and Spacemen (original), RuneQuest (2nd & 3rd), DragonQuest, Dragonroar, Marvel Superheroes, Ghostbusters, Powers and Perils, Top Secret, Lords of Creation, Heroes, The Morrow Project, MERP, Rolemaster/Spacemaster, The One Ring, Harn, Toon, Tales of the Floating Vagabond, TMBT and other Strangeness, WHFRPG, GURPS (various editions/settings), Deadlands, Psi World, Xena/Herculues (d6 system), FATE, Warhamster (Dork tower insert RPG), Sengoku, Universe, various home brews and probably a few more I can't remember and some i've owned but never played
Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

Whoa! That's a bunch! (at least to me) :o
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Oh, yeah, forgot the original Top Secret as well as Danger International, the Hero System modern adventure game.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
hurcheon

Post by hurcheon »

I should mentioned "Basic Fantasy" of course ;)

The explanation for the long list,and I am pretty damn sure there are a few I forgot, is just old age. I started over 35 years ago
Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

Other than AD&D and Traveller about the only other rpg that I played was Champions which had just come out in like '82 I think. Mostly we just played around making characters up in that one.
Karnos

Post by Karnos »

Hey everyone.

I just turned 36 last month. I started gaming around when I was 12 years old, started with the old red box basic D&D, moved onto a hybrid game that was mostly 2nd edition with a few things pulled from 1st edition (mainly because I was a broke kid and the 1st edition books were available at the library for free). At some point my D&D friends convinced me to switch to playing Rifts, which was fun for a year or two, at least when our gaming sessions weren't stolen by Magic: The Gathering, but then I moved out of the area and being a broke kid with no car I basically had to give up playing RPGs for awhile.

For awhile I got my fix from computer games, and then online MUDs which were remarkably similar to the P&P games I used to play (arctic mud, if anyone else has played it). The bioware NWN got me back into thinking about D&D, and I played and created games using it for a few years. Like a lot of gamers, I went through a World of Warcraft phase, it was fun for a time. I played a few other games after that, League of Legends & then Dota 2 and most recently Path of Exile, but even a supposed "RPG" on the computer was far from a real RPG.

I missed the whole world building aspect, the ability to do virtually anything, the gaming sessions with real humans in the same room instead of over skype, and partly, the balance and excitement of old school D&D- modern computer RPG want to make it nearly impossible to die early on. The low levels of D&D where a single stray arrow can take down a player are some of the most fun and exciting times in the game, to me. Playing a computer RPG where you you start with hundreds of hp and monsters hit for single digit damage at best are just so dull in comparison, even if the challenge eventually works up it's just too late to capture my interest. Sadly, it looked like 4th edition D&D suffered from the same sort of problems.

Anyway, after all that, my interest in D&D has increased recently when I read about "next". It sounds like the game is going back to the roots, and reverting nearly every negative change from 3rd and 4th edition, IMO. This got me interested in the game again, which eventually lead me to discover the existence of games like BFRPG. My first thought, when I realized how much content and potential this game has, all for free, was just "Wow". Maybe I don't even need to bother playing next. This seems like a great thing here.

As far as actually playing, since I have been away from the scene for so long I don't really know any local players. I decided to teach my wife to play, who has never played an RPG, not even a computer RPG or "action" RPG. We ran through the start of the Caves of Chaos (though she didn't even find the caves yet, just dealing with the wilderness static and random encounters has been a challenge) and she actually had a lot of fun. My only challenge has been making the module doable for her basically solo. I gave her a fairly strong pet wolf, and an NPC character to help with combat, but it's still tough to deal with encounters balanced around 5+ characters, so I typically reduce the number of monsters encountered by 30-40%.

Anyway, I have gone on long enough. TL;DR: Awesome job with the game, love it.
Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

Hey Karnos! Welcome! I joined just the day before you did and this is an awesome place! Kind people with an incredible store of experience.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Welcome you all! It's good to have you around here. :D
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Yeah, welcome to the forums! :D
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Its good to see all the new faces around here.

I wonder what opened the floodgates this time? I think the last big migration was after the blogger fed BFRPG Appreciation Day thing. Another time it was a debate on one of the big RPG forums.