Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Hywaywolf

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post Sat May 31, 2014 5:29 pm

you could always just have his character be NPC'd the game nights they are not there and only get 1/2 xp on those nights.
Jered Taikith

Post Sat May 31, 2014 5:35 pm

Dimirag wrote:Ok, there are games like that, but I never encountered one that I like it, you can use whatever game you like and not give xp, but must remember to maintain the opponents on a set level as to not use opponents made to be fought with specified high levels or high skills.
I love where you are going with that idea! :D
I think what I'll do is have them start at around level 7 and not give out xp's at all. The players then can face any monsters up to that level and even a monster that is a bit stronger. Even a monster that is stronger still could be coped with in the short term until they figure out that they need to flee.
Thanks much!
Dimirag

Post Sat May 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Your welcome!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sat May 31, 2014 6:13 pm

In games where hit points don't rise rapidly, being separated by experience isn't so much of a factor. RuneQuest, for instance, where an experienced character can reasonably adventure with a less experienced one, but will be able to do things the lesser character can't as yet.

It's the rapid rise of hit points that makes it hard for mixed level parties in class-and-level games.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Jered Taikith

Post Sat May 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Solomoriah wrote:In games where hit points don't rise rapidly, being separated by experience isn't so much of a factor. RuneQuest, for instance, where an experienced character can reasonably adventure with a less experienced one, but will be able to do things the lesser character can't as yet.

It's the rapid rise of hit points that makes it hard for mixed level parties in class-and-level games.
That's a good point. :D
What I like about Dimirag's idea is that I can still use BFRPG!
The problem with even RuneQuest (I perceive) is that this is going to be an ongoing issue for years to come (given that the campaign may very well last that long). I can see where your idea would work even over a middling length of time however.
Hywaywolf

Post Sat May 31, 2014 6:56 pm

It seems to me that you would be penalizing the two full time players to accommodate the part time player. Even if you fix your level problem you will still have the problem of having a PC that is popping in and out of the campaign every other week or every 3 weeks. That sounds like a bigger problem than having PCs of different levels. You would have to constantly keep changing the encounters to match the play of two PCs or 3 PCs.

Again, I say just play BFRPG and let the 3rd players PC be NPC'd by the other two on the nights when he isn't there. That way he would get full experience on some nights and half experience on others. He wouldn't fall very much behind in that situation.
LtTibbles

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:28 am

Ars Magica might be worth looking at, it seems to be well suited for pc's dropping in and out and the 4th edition rules are available for free.
Jered Taikith

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:24 am

Hywaywolf wrote:It seems to me that you would be penalizing the two full time players to accommodate the part time player. Even if you fix your level problem you will still have the problem of having a PC that is popping in and out of the campaign every other week or every 3 weeks. That sounds like a bigger problem than having PCs of different levels. You would have to constantly keep changing the encounters to match the play of two PCs or 3 PCs.

Again, I say just play BFRPG and let the 3rd players PC be NPC'd by the other two on the nights when he isn't there. That way he would get full experience on some nights and half experience on others. He wouldn't fall very much behind in that situation.
That is a good and valid point. I did think of that.
What I am planning (tentatively) on doing is this: Running not so much a campaign as a set of quick adventures that can be finished off in a few hours of play. Sort of like stand alone TV episodes. The adventures will all take place in a city with the players being part of some organization. Perhaps the city watch for instance. Or members of the local thief guild. I will always know if the third player will be available for a weekend's play or not.

I realize that traditionally and by far one of the motivations for players and pc's is to go up in level. I'm not sure why Gygax thought this was necessary. I think back to when I was a kid and playing with the neighborhood kids in good ol' suburbia. We ran around and were each a superhero. We fought enemies. The thought of becoming stronger over time never occurred to us. Some enemies we vanquished from some others we fled. Then it dawned on me. Leveling is not necessary at all to make an rpg exiting. I could dump the entire concept completely. Other goals can be sought after with equal verve.

Another way to look at my situation is this. Think of being in some armed force. When you go out on a mission you don't always go out with the same people. You know everyone of course and you trust that they know what they're doing because they trained the same as you and they're in the same service as you. Some missions require two people some three. Pretty simple.

I value the input from everyone. Please keep it coming. Thanks!
Hywaywolf

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:12 am

I would get bored with a game group that just did a bunch of one shot adventures. But thats just me.
Jered Taikith

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:30 am

Hywaywolf wrote:I would get bored with a game group that just did a bunch of one shot adventures. But thats just me.
It'll be one shots with a connecting thread. I'm trying to make the best of my circumstances because this isn't really the best city in the States to try to get a gaming group going.