Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Longman

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by Longman »

Hi all,

This seems like the best place to say hello.

Steve, 40ish, used to play years ago etc.

Been looking for an online haunt for my gamey predilections.

Wrote a daft article for Dragonsfoot on 'half-dwarves' a while back.

I'd like to try to playing one of these here play by post games but it might help if I read the rules first and maybe lurked around for a while.

Currently playing a game of 3.5 with my kids, and another one with adults that happens...sorta... if everyone has the time.
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Welcome Longman!
T'is a good place to game and there are great people here so enjoy!

--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Welcome longman. "Used to play a long time ago and now playing again now that I have kids of my own," is a bit of a stereotype around here, for some of us anyway. No need to lurk for too long. The rules are pretty simple and with PBP you don't need to know the mechanics so much as you need to have an imagination. Most of the time the DMs do all your rolls for you on PBPs.
hurcheon

Post by hurcheon »

Hi

48 here, been RPGing since '78. I went off D&D sometime about 84, and got into more realistic fantasy RPGs.

However, while most "OSR" games leave me not that impressed, the Conan/Cthulhu game "Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerors of Hyperborea" intrigued me, but to get the hard copy in the UK is prohibitively expensive.

A friend mentioned BF. I took a look, downloaded it and read it, and then read some of the options and expansions and I realised that I could get a lot of the same flavour from this excellent game. I got the published books from Createspace, and I plan to do a bit of solo adventuring in the Hyborian Age with it.

So far I have the characters
Aswulf of Asgard, Aesir Fighter and Barbarian (Quasi class version)
Bladyyn, Bossonian Ranger, brother of Lydyn
Lydyn, Bossonian Cleric and Bard quasi class, brother of Bladyyn
Arum Shanash, Shemite Necromancer and Sage (quasi-class). Masquerading as a Sage with some magical skills
Tyrok. Thief and Archer (quasi-class). Background uncertain, short, thick bodied and with certain preternatural abilities, some suspect him of having pre-human ancestry
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

This is pretty late, I know. Just thought I should give some background on my PnP RPG history.

I started out gaming with the BECMI edition of Classic D&D (I just call it D&D). I later moved on to the Rules Compendium, but after a year or so returned to BECMI. I played AD&D 1E and 2E later on. I looked at 3E when it came out, but I didn't care for it. Since then I've stuck to Classic Editions. I found BFRPG a couple of years ago, and I liked it. I currently play BFRPG, BECMI D&D, 1E AD&D, and Labyrinth Lord.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Jered Taikith

Post by Jered Taikith »

Hello :D

My user name is also the name of my very first character. Jered Taikith, created back in '79. He was an elven fighter / magic user / thief.

I was in the Navy, my ship was in dry dock, and we played 4-6 hours every night for months. Since role playing was early days still everything was way loose as far as the rules went and monty hall but...we role played like nobody's business and our DM knew how to wing it when necessary.

In any event once I left the Navy in the early '80's I moved to a part of the country where there were very very few roleplaying opportunities so I moved on.

Til now.

I'll be posting questions but I wanted to introduce myself first.

Happy gaming all.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Welcome Jered to the community. There are various options available to you now a days. There are play by post games hosted here, you can find other sites that cater to pbp games like mythweaver, obsidian portal, and others. There are various programs you can install like maptools that is built to function as a virtual tabletop (VTT) and there are sites that are built to run in your browser as a VTT like roll20.net or infrno.net. There are a wide variety of communities on google+ that game through their hangouts also.

If you need help then feel free to ask and someone will help you.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I also began playing in 1979 while in the Navy. I was on an aircraft carrier in the Med. The game was held in one of the airedale's rec rooms (I was a boiler tech down in the bowels of the ship) and had at least 2 GMs running it in a tag team. The game basically ran around the clock and you just joined in when you could. All I had was a couple of mimeographed sheets of the rules (that I think were a hodgepodge of what was available at the time). But it was an awesome way to spend time on ship when out to sea.

So, welcome back to the game.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

I didn't know that PnP RPGs were popular in the navy back in the 70s. That's interesting.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

-1warrior wrote:I didn't know that PnP RPGs were popular in the navy back in the 70s. That's interesting.
Back when I started (about same time), there was hardly a kid around that didn't at least have some contact with the game (boys at least). It was the fad "thing" for a while; everyone played D&D or Traveller or something similar... Golden Years really, at least in the regions I grew up in.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?