Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
rredmond

Re: Welcome to the Basic Fantasy RPG Forums!

Post by rredmond »

Offer to give him a break and DM a different D&D game. That works a lot.
There's lot of free modules and resources here. I really recommend the modules, most are truly excellent stuff. I'm a big Gonnerman and Neal fan, but I need to peruse around the others. I haven't checked in a while. Also ask lots of questions here. It's a real supportive community.
And hey "welcome"!
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Welcome, Ron. I am a big fan of BFRPG. If you want to convince someone who regularly plays modern RPG games make sure that you also show them the large number of supplements available, many developed and playtested by other refugees from the modern RPG world. Essentially they are house rules that give more choices to the dm and players, without adding too much complexity.
Raellus

Post by Raellus »

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've thought about offering to DM a game for the group, but I'm worried that my current DM would take it as a vote of no confidence. I've also thought about sending him the link to this site with an innocuous note saying "Check this out." but I don't know if/what he'd read into that. I'm probably just going to wait for an opening to come up organically and then jump in with BFRPG somehow.

Anyway, it's an awesome game and I'm looking forward to checking out some of the supplements and modules.

Cheers.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Have you thought of just being upfront with him and tell him your concerns about how the game is progressing. Start by talking about how much you enjoy gaming with this group. Then lead into telling him that the complexity and quantity of the rules are taking away from your enjoyment of the game. Then tell him about a game that combines the best of rules light and roll20. Don't forget to mention the numerous supplements that allow a DM to build the exact ruleset that they want.
Raellus

Post by Raellus »

Hywaywolf wrote:Have you thought of just being upfront with him and tell him your concerns about how the game is progressing. Start by talking about how much you enjoy gaming with this group. Then lead into telling him that the complexity and quantity of the rules are taking away from your enjoyment of the game. Then tell him about a game that combines the best of rules light and roll20. Don't forget to mention the numerous supplements that allow a DM to build the exact ruleset that they want.
This is what I should do. I may end up going this route. I just don't want to hurt the guy's feelings or break up the group. I've waited 30 years for a FtF group and I'd hate to screw things up. Thanks for the good advice, though. I've just got work up the courage to broach the subject and hope for an awesome diplomacy roll.
Last edited by Raellus on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I recommend not doing it with others around, especially if they agree with you. Some DMs can be very touchy if they think you are criticising them and don't want to look bad in front of others. And you don't want him feeling like everyone is piling on.
Raellus

Post by Raellus »

Hywaywolf wrote:I recommend not doing it with others around, especially if they agree with you. Some DMs can be very touchy if they think you are criticising them and don't want to look bad in front of others. And you don't want him feeling like everyone is piling on.
That's a good idea.
CountOrlov

Post by CountOrlov »

Hi everyone!

I've just signing here because i'm very interested in Basic Fantasy RPG! Yesterday i've bought it while i've got personnal copy^^. It's simple and efficient system i'll go to test with my five children!^^

I've mastered rpg from 1996 to 2008 and break since. But i want to initiate my progeny :p, so BFRPG was THE only choice for me!

Sorry for my approxively english, i'm french.

One last question:

Does existing a tool to convert AD&D 1 / 2 to BFRPG (to use modules)?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Welcome to the board! Hope you and your children have lot of fun!
Regarding your question. Check the download page. I dont recall any such file... but maybe besides ac you can use them without problems... just remember that some classes has lower hd compared to advanced in case the adventure use npcs
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Playing D&D with my daughters is the best.
Enjoy and welcome!
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.