Basic Fantasy Game Masters in Colorado Springs

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: Basic Fantasy Game Masters in Colorado Springs

Post by SmootRK »

So, I need to get a bit more prep work done for my efforts at this mini-con. Gotta get a few pre-gens prepared. Anyone got a link to some done already? Going with 7000xp (roughly 3rd) for the characters.

Will be putting these on character sheets ready to hand out to players. Using modified sheet by Solomoriah/Chiisu so that I am presenting stuff in a mostly "official BFRPG" way.

Still need to get over to one of the gaming stores to check into a couple extra sets of dice.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The last time I had the notebook paper format tweaked, I printed a bunch of blanks for use at conventions. I LOVE using notebook paper sheets at conventions... it's so old school it almost hurts the new-school guys.

And I usually use the BF1 pregens, updated to whatever level seems appropriate.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

This is going on this coming Saturday. While this event is for the younger folks, I am sure they wouldn't mind if others swing by to say hello.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I ran a small group of 5 students through Solomoriah's version of "Castle by the Sea". I had a lot of fun interacting with the 4 young men and one young lady that formed this group. Considering how fresh they were to rpgs, they did really well. One of my group had never even played in any rpg before, but quickly got a handle on what was going on.

I gave away a BFRPG book to each of my table participants. They were thrilled at the gesture. They each explained how hard it was to "get into" some of the games they tried, due to having to acquire all the books, so I got a really good opportunity to explain "old school games" and the low/no profit nature of BFRPG makes a great way to game with friends without excessive spending.

The event itself was larger than I expected. The room we played in (school library) was a little loud, so even we had to talk across the table with raised voices most of the time... but after a while I got accustomed to this. I met several other of the game hosts, and got a chance to advocate and explain what BFRPG was all about. They were intrigued by the idea of applying a sort of open-source and freely shared concept to gaming. I gave a couple of the BFRPG books out to the most receptive ones, and gave rest to Dustin Flesher (the organizer of the event) to give out as he saw fit. Hopefully he can drop by the forum again to share how these got distributed.

As far as photos, I took a few but saw they had a photographer running about. I will wait and see what they post up before I share the ones I snapped with my phone.
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Just catching up after a long stint away from the site, and I wanted to say this thread was awesome. Smoot, I admire what you did, stepping up and running a game. A lot of kids these days are minimalists... it's the "cool, new" thing to be. And I actually really like that. And I think a single-volume, available-at-nearly-cost, black-and-white game like BFRPG could hit them just right, since it fits that minimalist aesthetic. I've REALLY been wanting to step up and run a BFRPG game at my FLGS, so this is great to read.
Dustinian
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dustinian wrote:Just catching up after a long stint away from the site, and I wanted to say this thread was awesome. Smoot, I admire what you did, stepping up and running a game. A lot of kids these days are minimalists... it's the "cool, new" thing to be. And I actually really like that. And I think a single-volume, available-at-nearly-cost, black-and-white game like BFRPG could hit them just right, since it fits that minimalist aesthetic. I've REALLY been wanting to step up and run a BFRPG game at my FLGS, so this is great to read.
Thanks. It really was a lot of fun, and I had already told the organizer that I would be willing to do so again in the future. In fact, looking forward to the next time around.

BFRPG really does lend itself well to events like this. Low cost, easy rules, lack of needing additional props, etc. And especially for the younger types, the COST makes it something they really can pull together.

I may just look into organizing an ongoing campaign at a local game store (if they will let me poison their patrons with such non-sense as PDFs for free and at-cost books).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

a recap of the event is detailed here:
http://www.gamebewithyou.org/history/gameconvi

Not much in the pictures department, at least of BFRPG, but BFRPG was mentioned.