Basic Fantasy Game Masters in Colorado Springs

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
mr-flesher

Basic Fantasy Game Masters in Colorado Springs

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Dear Basic Fantasy RPG Community,

I am a public school teacher who organizes a bi-annual gaming convention for middle and high school students in the Pikes Peak region. I am currently organizing our sixth event, GameCon VI, on April 30, 2016. I would really like to get one or two Basic Fantasy game masters lined up for our event. Are there any experienced game masters out there who would be willing to volunteer on April 30?

Check out our website here: http://www.gamebewithyou.org
You can volunteer here: http://www.gamebewithyou.org/volunteers

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Dustin Flesher
Academy School District 20
dustin.flesher@asd20.org
SmootRK

Re: Basic Fantasy Game Masters in Colorado Springs

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Not sure of my availability that far out, but I live in the Springs and might be able to lend a hand in some fashion. I am certainly not experienced in convention 1-off games, whether BFRPG or any other games, so I would hesitate volunteering an actual GMing position. I am just down the street from Rampart HS (living at Union/Woodmen), so I should make a point of getting involved in some way.

Feel free to email me directly. same as my BFRPG handle using the gmail service... but I will try to keep updated via your website.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs:
https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
https://www.redbubble.com/people/SmootRK
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:04 am

If you want my advice, Mr. Smoot, run one of the adventures from Castle by the Sea. It's great for a one-off game, and fits on a large battlemat in 5' squares. Of course, I recommend my own Call of Doom, but any of those adventures would be great.

Actually, since Call of Doom is lower level than the others, it might be the best choice for newbies.

Use the pregens in BF1 Morgansfort or JN1 The Chaotic Caves to save time. Bumping them up a bit in level is easy work, much quicker than making them up from scratch.

Also, the Olde Island Fortress in BF1 is pretty good for kids, but it's tougher than I intended it to be so I'd recommend going with around 4,000 XP characters.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 am

Solomoriah wrote:If you want my advice, Mr. Smoot, run one of the adventures from Castle by the Sea. It's great for a one-off game, and fits on a large battlemat in 5' squares. Of course, I recommend my own Call of Doom, but any of those adventures would be great.

Actually, since Call of Doom is lower level than the others, it might be the best choice for newbies.

Use the pregens in BF1 Morgansfort or JN1 The Chaotic Caves to save time. Bumping them up a bit in level is easy work, much quicker than making them up from scratch.

Also, the Olde Island Fortress in BF1 is pretty good for kids, but it's tougher than I intended it to be so I'd recommend going with around 4,000 XP characters.
Thanks. I was going to inquire with the collective here about best choices for some very short intro scenarios. Seeing that these are high school age 'kids', they are not the target age that I am accustomed to working with (usually either very young (my kidos) or fully matured adults/peers)... though I am sure many will surprise me when I get in front of them.

I just Have to participate in this one. It is literally less than a mile from my home, just blocks away. Seems like it was designed to pull me in.

A cool thing, in their last event they don't specifically mention BFRPG, but on the website the core rules is clearly laying out on a table in one of the pictures. Caught my eye immediately!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs:
https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
https://www.redbubble.com/people/SmootRK
mr-flesher

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:54 am

Smoot, at GameCon events, we give out a lot of gaming schwag. At GameCon V, I gave out a couple dozen RPG books. On a lark, I decided to pick up a few BFRPG books. They were popular with the kids. Kids like to get a whole game in a book because they can imagine running the game themselves. I'm excited about the prospect of lining up a couple Basic Fantasy game masters. There are many kids who aren't ready to or can't make the leap into buying $100 worth of D&D books. The GameCon organizers, teachers in the area, have always been interested in provided inexpensive gaming opportunities to kids. BFRPG fits our goals.
chiisu81

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:33 pm

I'd be happy to gift some Amazon copies of the BFRPG Core Rules (and/or any other BFRPG books from Amazon) for this event and other related events, clubs, etc.

If the address on this page works, just let me know what books and number of copies y'all need. 8-)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:36 pm

... I just offered some to Smoot to take with him. :D

Won't hurt a bit if we throw some love their way en masse.
Koren_nRhys

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Go for it, Smoot! I run 5E (via D&D Adventurers League) for a group that's mostly HS age kids, as well as having run for my daughter and friends prior to that at MS/HS age. They keep it interesting for sure, just like younger kids, if often a bit raunchier. They seem to want to steal everything, kill everything, drink everything and get busy with the ladies, if you take my meaning. Just like we did gaming at that age! :lol:
mr-flesher

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:36 pm

Donated copies of Basic Fantasy would be very welcome! You can send to the address shown on our contact page: http://www.gamebewithyou.org/contact-us

Thank you for your generosity. I'd really like to see Basic Fantasy take of with kids, and any time I can put RPG books into kids' hands, it makes me happy.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:39 pm

Chi, PM or email me so we can coordinate our gift-giving. We might be able to get a better deal (less money for us or more stuff for them, either is a win) if we go in on this together.