Anyone interested in starting a new BFRPG play-by-post game?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
JoeCarr28

Anyone interested in starting a new BFRPG play-by-post game?

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The title says it all really. The two existing games on this forum appear to have become dormant, so I just wondered how a new campaign might be received.

By way of background, I haven’t played a proper pen ‘n’ paper RPG for more than 20 years. I stumbled across Basic Fantasy RPG whilst browsing around and downloaded a copy out of interest. Suffice to say I loved it and it re-kindled my old interest. Family and work commitments would make it difficult for me to join a regular tabletop or realtime online game. But a fairly relaxed-paced PBM game ought to suit me well. Nothing fancy, just old school exploring, battling and looting.

As to the exact details, I’m open to suggestions. I don’t mind GMing or playing. The campaign could be based on classic modules, or on something original. We can sort this out according to the preference of the group.

Anyway, post below if interested and we’ll take it from there.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Anyone interested in starting a new BFRPG play-by-post game?

Post by Solomoriah »

If you get a group together, have the GM contact me and I'll create you a forum for your game. I'll need a list of all players in the game.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
swirler

Post by swirler »

Sounds good to me. I haven't played anything in 2 years and current health issues force me to stay home for now.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

That's great, thanks for getting the ball rolling swirler. I'll advertise on some other PBM sites to see if we can get enough people together to make this work.

And thanks for the offer of the forum Solomoriah. We'll take you up on that if this gets off the ground.
doomrock

Post by doomrock »

Yup, I'm up for that.

Jamie.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

OK, so we're up to four - the three people here + another one hopefully on the way from the Dragonsfoot forums. I've advertised the game in a number of places (Dragonsfoot, RPGnet, RPG_Player_Sanctuary and www.pbm.com [pending]), so hopefully we'll get a few more for a decent-sized group.
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

I'm now active here! Please count me in!
Mhogrymm

Post by Mhogrymm »

I would like to play if you still have room.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Welcome Mhogrymm! So we now have:

- JoeCarr28.
- swirler.
- doomrock.
- Birthright.
- Mhogrymm.

It looks like we are going to get enough people together to make this work, although there is still room for a few more. Therefore, I propose to keep the sign-up going for another week before making a start on character creation, etc. In the meantime, for those that have already expressed an interest, there are a couple of key questions regarding the proposed campaign that we ought to sort out ...

Firstly, is everyone OK with me GMing? As I indicated in the original post, I’d be happy to take on this role. However, if somebody else has joined the group with the main intention of GMing then please shout-up.

Secondly, what sort of campaign would people prefer? For example:

- A campaign based on the existing BFRP modules, Morgansfort perhaps being the obvious starting point if people haven’t already played it.

or

- A campaign based on classic D&D modules. I was thinking of the old TSR B and X series, although 1E AD&D modules would also work. If anybody has any specific suggestions regarding classic modules they would like to play, then please feel free to propose them.

or

- An original campaign. Our own adventures within a world that will evolve as we play.

or

- Something else?

Let me have your thoughts on this and we’ll tailor the campaign accordingly.

Finally, we can certainly accommodate some more people in the game, so if anybody else is interested then please add your name to this thread. All are welcome, whether you’re a complete beginner, an experienced player, or a returning veteran such as myself. The beauty of the BFRP system is that it is very easy to pick-up and the game mechanics shouldn't get in the way of everyone enjoying the adventures. I envisage a fairly relaxed pace (perhaps 2-3 postings per week) so it shouldn’t be too onerous a commitment.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Let me make one suggestion to you... stay away from the supplement classes, at least at the start. It's hard to anticipate their impact on your game, and once you've allowed a class, it's hard to remove it.

Supplement races are all pretty well tested and not particularly harmful. Most other supplements are easily removed if you discover you don't like them.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org