A smaller/condensed rule book.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Nordith_Pinewood

A smaller/condensed rule book.

Post by Nordith_Pinewood »

Hello all,

So I posted this on Facebook and it was suggested that I come here. The other night I was at my girlfriend's family's house for a Christmas Eve party. There were a few kids sitting around with nothing to do and they seemed pretty bored. I had 4 sets of polyhedral dice in my car, so I got them all together and told them we were going to play a game. I set up very loose characters with min stats and took them through the adventure from the primer book where you start in a tavern and have to go into the tunnels to save someones kid. Well, even though I was pulling from memory and it was nowhere near the quality it could have been from a GM, they loved it.

It got me to thinking how great it would be if there was a small book with the bare minimum rules you need to get a session started. Something which could easily fit in the glove box of a car next to some dice. I heard this has been a discussion on this forum before but couldn't find anything. Any thoughts on where to start?
Metroknight

Re: A smaller/condensed rule book.

Post by Metroknight »

There is a tablet friendly version: http://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=87

There is a beginner's basic booklet that is 14 pages long: http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/BF ... als-r8.pdf
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just for the record... printing a smaller format book will be more expensive. The base cost of a book doesn't drop much when you reduce the format, but since reducing the format increases the page count, the overall price is driven up.

This is the main reason I've never done this myself.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Nordith_Pinewood

Post by Nordith_Pinewood »

Ahh good to know. I had no idea that drives the price up. Those PDF versions will def help though. They are coming over on Thurs to see the ball drop do I will see how it goes.