PbP Styles

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Longman

Re: PbP Styles

Post by Longman »

I've been thinking about this stuff for years. (Too much, really, seeing as its just a game!). PbP - which I only started doing a few years ago - just creates a whole new angle on it.

In table-top, I'm totally into having a larger narrative, but for me, it doesn't stem from big speeches or big descriptions of stuff. It stems from important decisions that the players make, and the GM responds to. The players lead the game.

I have had to explain to many players exactly what I mean by that. Often, they will assume that I either mean inventing elements of their own backstory ("I'm on a quest to find who killed my parents!"), or, inventing elements of a scenario ("let's say there's a tunnel into the volcano and we go in there and see what happens!")

I don't really mean either of those things. I mean that they role-play by collectively deciding from the outset that they are all going to do something really major - like catch and tame a dragon, or make an army of golems - and then they try to do it. There's no epic campaign backstory, or quest I make for them. I just prep for what they want to do, nothing else.

After that, I can be quite mechanical with the play-style itself, because the story is already there, being told with every dice roll. And they almost never misunderstand what is going on, because it is their game. I'm just they guy who puts a few obstacles in their way.

So, I would never normally run something like Monkey Isle, which is a real "module's module." I'm only doing it because I'm running a PbP and I think that a sandbox - or a loose collection of small adventures with lots of random encounters - is the best option for that.

Ultimately, my desire for fully player-led game is unrealistic when no one knows each other and no one can see each other. PbP really is a different beast. For me, a pretty mechanical style suits it best. But maybe, I just want to think that because I am not prepared to write a big campaign story, like Delver has...

Communication is the key. I've had some misunderstandings in my games from time to time, because I thought what I wrote to describe a scene was sufficient, only to find out the characters got something completely different.

Heh. :oops: Thanks for not mentioning any names...
Woe

Post by Woe »

LM, you are selling yourself short. Boldenwald is extremely involved, and that campaigned evolved over time. You took Monkey Isle and added a lot of background you didn't need to. At least, I think that -- I haven't actually read the module to check. :) We have a "save Random NPC's father" quest, a dastardly lawful pirate-killer stalking us on the island, and the monk's bloodthirsty sword... all of which go well beyond what you call mechanical.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Woe wrote:LM, you are selling yourself short.
Err... not exactly a compliment, but I am glad you like the level of detail in the games. :)

I could rabbit on about the difference between 'detail' and 'plot', but I guess it really doesn't matter. I've gone on long enough.

Quick Poll: would it be funny if a character got stung to death by giant bees?

One vote for yes so far.
Woe

Post by Woe »

One vote for no because I'm supposed to keep that character alive, and I won't be doing a good job if he goes off and kills himself by attacking giant bees with a torch. Besides, if he dies I expect the rest of the party will suddenly become good and side with Sonja in the next fight "against" her. :lol:
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
quozl

Post by quozl »

Yes, it would be hilarious! Roleplaying is no fun if players don't learn that their characters will die sometimes if they don't run. Of course, the smoke should protect him a bit...
netmike65

Post by netmike65 »

The combat example quoted by the original poster certainly won't work in a play-by-post game. It won't work in any game. You have to roll the dice before you can reap the glory and count skulls.

The best example of PBP games I've seen is over at http://odd74.proboards.com/ check out the online games there. The situation determines the orders required, given and those recapped in the narrative by the referee. For example:

You're in a combat - turns last 10 seconds, tell me where you want to run and who you want to hit or what you want to hide behind.

You're exploring a dungeon - turns last 10 minutes; don't tell me what you want to do tomorrow; tell me whether you're heading north or east.

Overland travel: turns last one day.

Out of Character conversation is noted accordingly.

The caller makes an entry for the referee to respond to once he or she has read enough of the player's banter.

Sorted.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Just so you know, the example I gave in the original post was a parody, something quoted from another thread. Not a real example of play in a PbP.

I'll check the proboards system.
Woe

Post by Woe »

It was a parody, but not too far from the truth. Here's Metro's way of doing it, as explained by me:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1889&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... =70#p52457

This is the narrative fight scene once the rolls were all in.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1884&start=20#p52454
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot