Oil abuse

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
black1blade

Oil abuse

Post by black1blade »

Just wondering, is there anyway of preventing throwing oil abuse amongst party members? Like it's a pretty much solve all to a lot of situations, assuming you just want to kill things...
SerGavin

Re: Oil abuse

Post by SerGavin »

not so much if you want to kill things and take all their stuff. singed goods fetch a lower price in the "second hand" market.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Just one, don't sell them oil! If they are tossing lots of oil then they are carrying lots of it, which could be cumbersome (not only in weight but in volume).

I've read of some GMs and games not allowing the use of oil as flaming weapons
Others don't make the simultaneous damage cumulative using only the higher damage roll for any fire damage suffered while already burning
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

give them chance of screwing up lighting the oil, basically blow up in hands. Make good use of the grenade miss table.... and by all means, start having their foes use oil against them... goose and gander thing.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Fights in cramped areas are generally a good discouragement for the PCs to use oil. My players almost killed their M-U twice with that. They're now generally more cautious.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Any flammable surrounding should be a discouraging situation for fire-based battles.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Like old curtains lining a throne room's walls...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Unless they state they have packed the oil carefully, let there be a chance of the container being broken in their pack. All those cooking fires for those goblins, there should be boiled lard or fat drippings. It works well on the floor to make things slippery for the adventures and them trying to throw stuff.
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

The biggest deterrent is weight. How much oil can they actually carry? Does rough treatment break the containers? In other words where is it while they fight or jump across pits? OR can they even jump with the added weight?

On the flip side maybe your situations make oil the easy solution. Oil can not solve puzzles, necessary information gathering form monster. If the goblins knows something important burring them is not the way to win. As they might have to subdue them for questioning. Finally if there are hostages (or even other players) may get hit by by the splash effect killing them in the process of saving them.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Well... if your players wanna fight dirty, then fight dirty. Give some monsters oil or other nasty surprises.