Charm Person questoin

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Guyon

Charm Person questoin

Post by Guyon »

The victim of a Charmed Person spell will get a save vs. Spells and if successful will resist its effect. In other words the wizard cast the spell with no die rolls and the target just gets to resist.

Now if an L1 Wizard cast Charm Person on a L1 Town Guard, he need to roll a 17 or better to resist the charm. But can the L1 Wizard cast charm person on a L7 Human, if he fails the save (15) he will have a L7 protector?

Worst yet a party of low level wizards memorize a few Charm Person spells and take over the evil tower by charming the L20 guard (save 10) with a 50% success!

thanks
Last edited by Guyon on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SerGavin

Re: Charm Person questoin

Post by SerGavin »

I believe that the spells description specifies that it may only be used on "humanoid creatures of 4 hit dice or less"

I hope that answers your question :D
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Guyon wrote:The victim of a Charmed Person spell will get a save vs. Spells and if successful will resist its effect. In other words the wizard cast the spell with no die rolls and the target just gets to resist.
Exactly
Guyon wrote:Now if an L1 Wizard cast Charm Person on a L1 Town Guard, he need to roll a 17 or better to resist the charm. But can the L1 Wizard cast charm person on a L7 Town Guard and if he fails the save (15) he will have a L7 protector?
Yes he can, the spell says "Humans and demi-humanoids may be affected, regardless of level of ability"
Guyon wrote:Can you charm people higher than your level?
Yes you can, but the spell may wear off after some time and suddenly you have a really pissed of person with a higher level than yourself.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Now onto a similar monster questions:
Looks like a succubus has Charm at will. With no save after every kiss ( such pleasantries are not attacks) She is guaranteed to drain her hapless victim if she can get him alone ( you have been warned)
What confuses me is:
Succubi can use charm Person at will (as a 12th level
caster). what does that mean? Charm is just cast and not modified or effected by casters level. I don't understand why her casting level comes into play.

Thanks!
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The "at will" means that the succubi has unlimited castings of those spells, but any spell mechanics are unchanged, thus, the succubus can use charm as much as she like but each use will be followed by the victim's saving throw.

The Magic User Level reference is for those spells that are affected by the level of the caster or for spells that target other spells such as Dispell Magic.
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Thanks Dimirag, I forgot about the Dispel.

Now that you said that I suppose if one magic uses wanted to charm an already charmed character they wold have to be equal (or higher) level than the original casters in order to even attempt it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Guyon wrote:Now onto a similar monster questions:
Looks like a succubus has Charm at will. With no save after every kiss ( such pleasantries are not attacks) She is guaranteed to drain her hapless victim if she can get him alone ( you have been warned)
Uh, no. Kissing someone to cast a charm does not negate the victim's opportunity for a saving throw.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Succubus does not need to kiss in order to cast charm, their kisses are how they drain levels, succubus must charm as per the spell, that is, speaking in a known language to both the succubus and the target.