Other Genres?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
MythusRPG

Other Genres?

Post by MythusRPG »

Has anyone used Basic Fantasy rules to play in other genres like sci-fi, steampunk, horror, etc.?
lars_alexander

Re: Other Genres?

Post by lars_alexander »

I sketched out a cyberpunk hack a few weeks ago. The first draft version is not ready, though.
There is some OSR material on science-fiction settings which will be portable to Basic Fantasy.

There is an adventure competition going on this forum which is about Halloween and Horror, so you'll be able to get into contact with the authors to share ideas.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I'm sure BFRPG has been used for Horror adventures before. There is a thread about converting the game into different styles, one take was made for a western setting but it was not finished.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Mint

Post by Mint »

You could house rule almost any genre. Depends on how much effort you wanted to put into doing it. The core mechanic is there. The rest is imagination.
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Like Lars, I'm working on a cyberpunk hack as well. Though mine is in a much more theoretical stage at this point. :)

It'll be built off the BFRPG chassis - that is, essentially B/X D&D with the modernisms of ascending AC & To-Hit bonus, etc. Pulling some mechanics from other games as well. Might use the single saving throw from Swords & Wizardry, the encumbrance system from Stars Without Number, and assorted other bits from the OSR as it comes together.

My plan at this point is to do the standard BFRPG supplement as a "pure" cyberpunk add-on with the classes, skill system, weapons, vehicles, computer hacking and so on. Then build it into it's own game (called CHROME) with the fantasy added back in, since my real goal is a Shadowrun game I can actually run/play.

If you do a search, there's a pretty long thread around here someplace on a western/Boot hill hack too. (Ninja'd by Dimirag on that one...)
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Koren_nRhys wrote:My plan at this point is to do the standard BFRPG supplement as a "pure" cyberpunk add-on with the classes, skill system, weapons, vehicles, computer hacking and so on. Then build it into it's own game (called CHROME) with the fantasy added back in, since my real goal is a Shadowrun game I can actually run/play.
This sounds awesome! I hope it comes together for you. I would love to have a Shadowrun-type game that I could play/run with my kids.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Blazeguard wrote:
Koren_nRhys wrote:My plan at this point is to do the standard BFRPG supplement as a "pure" cyberpunk add-on with the classes, skill system, weapons, vehicles, computer hacking and so on. Then build it into it's own game (called CHROME) with the fantasy added back in, since my real goal is a Shadowrun game I can actually run/play.
This sounds awesome! I hope it comes together for you. I would love to have a Shadowrun-type game that I could play/run with my kids.
Thanks! If/When it comes to fruition, I'll be sharing it here.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

I've been rolling around a Basic Western RPG hack in my head for the last couple months since that Undermountain campaign I was in ended.
Kheten

Post by Kheten »

I've been thinking and tinkering with rules for modern and space/sci-fi settings. However, my enthusiasm for it has dropped but I still hope to finish it one day.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Koren_nRhys wrote:It'll be built off the BFRPG chassis - that is, essentially B/X D&D with the modernisms of ascending AC & To-Hit bonus, etc. Pulling some mechanics from other games as well. Might use the single saving throw from Swords & Wizardry, the encumbrance system from Stars Without Number, and assorted other bits from the OSR as it comes together.[/size]
I've written a saving throw supplement including a single save option too, if you don't want to use the S&W one. I may be a little bit biaised, but I think my version is more in-line with the core rules, the S&W ST are going lower really quickly, which can unbalanced the game a bit. I really like the idea of a single saving throw, but I think that a Fighter having saving throws of 4 at 11th level makes a lot of spells/monster "unscary" (if that's a real word).