The Almanack is Dead

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The Almanack is Dead

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote:
  • Art for as many critters as we can accumulate
  • We need to make sure we look through the modules for the critters that appear in some of them to include. I have a few monsters still up in my head that need to get down on paper, but "making the Book happen" needs filler material.
  • Another filler, should be to include the "Fine Art of Monster Conversion" Supplement to the back of the Field Guide (as an appendix).
  • Re-done and expanded Encounter Tables would also add several pages to the Field Guide.
I'm in favor of the items quoted above. Art, of course, depends on availability of artists, and tends to be a feast-or-famine situation. Adding the monster conversion supplement to the work seems a good idea; I'll probably tend to it myself soon. Encounter tables are also a good thing.

Don't think of it as "filler" material. That sounds like styrofoam. Think of it as content. I want the book to grow a bunch before we even think about printing it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Don't think of it as "filler" material. That sounds like styrofoam. Think of it as content. I want the book to grow a bunch before we even think about printing it.
Yes, filler is a poor term to use... but you know what I mean. We need quality content that fills the page. A few pieces of full-page b&w art would be very cool sprinkled in.

We might change the organization, grouping some types of monsters (undead all together, animals all together)... then each section can have a full page section intro like some other books do.

I believe there was a 3.xE book of Animals/Bestiary (done by an obscure 3rd party publisher). I will try to locate it and see if there are ideas that can be gleaned from it (as in obscure types of animals that could be developed).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Mhogrymm

Post by Mhogrymm »

A listing of all the game's monsters (and a reference as to whether they are found in the core rules or guidebook) by hit die would be awesome as well. I like to make my own random tables and frequently track through all the monsters trying to find appropriate beasties for my tables.

I have started this a few times but it is usually when I am trying to create a table so I end up just scanning through the book, but if it is something you would be interested in including it would get me motivated to do it.
swirler

Post by swirler »

fluff and crunch are the words I usually here. Though fluff can have a negative context sometimes.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
swirler

Post by swirler »

SmootRK wrote:Art for as many critters as we can accumulate
Such as? I have qa smattering or ability. Not tons, but Im decent.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

swirler wrote:
SmootRK wrote:Art for as many critters as we can accumulate
Such as? I have qa smattering or ability. Not tons, but Im decent.
Feel free to do what you can. I am artistically retarded (or more PC 'challenged'), so I try not to judge other's works... but if you can do something black&white in something at least in the neighborhood of the style that already appears, then you would be very welcome to contribute in that way.

Grab a copy of the Field Guide and try your hand at whatever interests you.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Mhogrymm wrote:A listing of all the game's monsters (and a reference as to whether they are found in the core rules or guidebook) by hit die would be awesome as well. I like to make my own random tables and frequently track through all the monsters trying to find appropriate beasties for my tables.

I have started this a few times but it is usually when I am trying to create a table so I end up just scanning through the book, but if it is something you would be interested in including it would get me motivated to do it.
I love having different indexes, many indexes, arranged in multiple ways.

Another thing we could do is to duplicate the core monsters into the Field Guide... that would move up the page count, provide a lot of illustrations, and make the book a real compilation of 'about everything there is available (monster-wise)'. It would be redundant, but still a very useful tome.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm not in favor of combining existing monsters into the supplement. Can't say just why... I just don't like it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:I'm not in favor of combining existing monsters into the supplement. Can't say just why... I just don't like it.
Just putting ideas out there. The indexes need to be comprehensive (including both core and FG critters).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Now, THAT I'm cool with.