Help with special abilities

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
FateAce

Help with special abilities

Post by FateAce »

So I just got done reading the rules for this system, and I absolutely love how simple everything is (especially how average lv. 1 hp is less then ten. Don't ask me why I just like systems with small numbers like that).

However, there is one rule that completely went over my head, and I was wondering if anyone could help explain how it works.

How to heck do special abilities work? Especially for the thief, because that chart they give is beyond me.
lars_alexander

Re: Help with special abilities

Post by lars_alexander »

The thief abilities chart works like this: You match the experience level of the thief character with the left-hand column to find the correct row, and then find the scores of the ability currently used in the appropriate column.
If a 2nd level thief tries to remove a trap you'll get a score of 25. Note that this is the unmodified score. The GM may add or subtract a modifier based on circumstance etc.
That score is a percentile score, and the ability check is actually done with a d100 (two d10 as described in the introduction of the Basic Fantasy rules.) To achieve a success the roll must be equal to or lower than the score.
So, the player needs to roll a 25 or lower to have the 2nd level thief succeed at removing the trap.

Apart from the thief abilities there a few special abilities in Basic Fantasy. There are spells for clerics and magic-users. The rest is either attack rolls or Ability Rolls as described in the optional rules of Part 8 Game Master Information.)

Enjoy the game! ;)
FateAce

Post by FateAce »

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I actually have one more quick question while I'm thinking about it. Do the ability scores (such as strength and what not) ever change, or are they stuck the way they are once assigned (other then the decreases that happen from energy drain and what not).
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

The ability scores usually do not change in Basic Fantasy. That is, the experience level does not change ability scores. They do play a rather minor role, in my opinion, anyway.
Characters may be granted a wish, find a magic item, or the GM may allow other ways to change ability scores. There are house rules for that kind of thing. However, if you're new to old school games, stick to the basic rules and add or change as you and your players progress (gain experience) with each session. You'll find out what to change, and what to leave as it is.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

FateAce wrote:That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I actually have one more quick question while I'm thinking about it. Do the ability scores (such as strength and what not) ever change, or are they stuck the way they are once assigned (other then the decreases that happen from energy drain and what not).
They do not change, but on occasion one might find a group that utilizes a houserule that has ability scores to be advanced. I utilize such a rule in my campaigns.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
FateAce

Post by FateAce »

OK. Thanks for all of your help. I'll go ahead and prepare for my campaign now.