Weapon Type vs Armor Type

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Longman

Weapon Type vs Armor Type

Post by Longman »

Was re-reading 1st edition the other day and noticed something I had totally forgotten:

Really complex tables for determining exactly what bonus or penalty all the weapon types had against different armor types, worked out by AC.

I'm pretty sure I hardly ever used those as a kid.

Did anyone ever use them when playing 1st edition? And did they make the game any better?

I am contemplating some 1st edition action sometime soon and thought I would ask this group. The question has been answered a dozen times on Dragonsfoot, but this group has some insights into playstyle thatI like.
Metroknight

Re: Weapon Type vs Armor Type

Post by Metroknight »

I used it when I first started 1e but discovered how bad it slowed down combat with the extra work required to look up the weapon then cross reference over to the specific armor then tell the player his weapon was not effective against that particular armor and he argues otherwise. Turn a 30 minute combat into a 2 hr arguement so I dropped using it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I've read that is mostly used for gms that use the unified d6 damage rule as it makea each weapon into a unique thing.

But I agree with the previous answer, it really slows combat procedure.

I prefer the simplyfied 2ed way.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you did want to do that, Iron Falcon has a table that would work. Though some BFRPG weapons are missing there...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Woe

Post by Woe »

We did. It took two combats to get used to, but once we did it got way cool. Suddenly we started thinking about maces vs skeletons, spears vs Knights, etc. it didn't make much difference for mages, but fighters suddenly started carting around more than a single melee weapon.

Ed: Un-autocorrected
Last edited by Woe on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Woe wrote:but fighters suddenly started carting around more than a single melds weapon.
That is why I always say that the ability to use every weapon with the same skill is the fighter's best ability
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Longman

Post by Longman »

Woe wrote:We did. It took two combats to get used to, but once we did it got way cool. Suddenly we started thinking about maces vs skeletons, spears vs Knights, etc. it didn't make much difference for mages, but fighters suddenly started carting around more than a single melee weapon.
Yeah, that's what I want. I've read people on the DF forums raving about what a difference those tables make to weapon selection, and the fun of being a fighter. But, I want a simplified way of doing it so you don't have to look up for every attack.

I will look up the IF tables and think about it.
Woe

Post by Woe »

If you want to simplify it, just take the weapon families vs the three types of armor. Weapons would be: axes, bows, daggers and swords, hammers and maces, spears and other pointy objects. Armor types would be none, leather (including hide), and metal (including scale). 5x3, something manageable in combat.

Now, to be truly evil, don't tell the players you're doing this and manage the math behind the DM screen. :twisted:
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

The IF tables look pretty good to me - although I think I might drop '& shield', and leave a 'shield' as a simple +1 bonus.

Also I'd like to use the tables as a way of somehow increasing the effectiveness of crossbows, answering the question, why would you elect to use them over a bow? I think they were superior to bows against chain and plate mail at short range.

I like how these tables bring reach and space required into play, otherwise everyone would have a flail all the time!
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Yes if I remember right the beauty of Crossbows was their ability to punch through heavy armor..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony