Advanced Edition Games and Halloween is a coming...

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
seandon4

Advanced Edition Games and Halloween is a coming...

Post by seandon4 »

It's nearing Halloween and thinking about running a one shot game with some close friends this October, using a 1e module, which got me to thinking...

Would there be much conflict (or confusion) in using the Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion (or even original ad&d books) along side BFRPG?

Anyone else run games with BFRPG and ad&d related books along side?

I don't want to make it confusing for players who have the itch to thumb through the books at the table.

Really it would just be to reference all the 1e specific spells and items -- besides needing to up character HP and give fighters more attacks.

That is unless anyone knows of a good Halloweeny BFRPG or B/X adventure module?

I started a little 1e - B/X conversion guide for BFRPG myself offline (I have not posted it yet), but it can't really compare to all the material that's in 1e or related clones.

Been a while since I posted. Regards.
Koren_nRhys

Re: Advanced Edition Games and Halloween is a coming...

Post by Koren_nRhys »

I don't see any real issues using AEC content in a BF game since using any of the old TSR Basic D&D stuff or newer LL stuff with BF is a snap.

It was a long time before I really took a closer look at BF. B/X is my preferred edition of the grand old game and I found LL first. It has a lot of supporting material out there (The AEC for 1E content, Kevin Crawford's awesome Red Tide stuff, Realms of Crawling Chaos for the Cthulhu mythos, any Mutant Future stuff for the post-apoc genre...)

Nowadays I do prefer ascending AC and an attack bonus system, plus my issue with LL has always been the wonky values on the XP tables, so once I found BF a lot of what Solomoriah did just clicked and I've sidled over here for my clone of choice. It's all easily compatible though, so game on!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

While 1E has the flavor (and over-writing), for reference it'd be hard to beat the AEC (OSRIC would be a 2nd option). For an adventure, I would also recommend Realms of Crawling Chaos if you wanted to come up with something; for pre-made, I've been looking at Shadowbrook Manor, The Manse on Murder Hill, or Night's Dark Terror. Goodman Games also has some great DCC RPG modules that's be perfect for that fall/Halloween tone. ;)
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

I'd love to run Night's Dark Terror using BFRPG, but sadly don't have a group who'd be into it. :-(
Dreamakuma

Post by Dreamakuma »

I've ran tomb of horrors, as well as some old 1e Dungeon Modules with BFRPG. I've also used the 1e MM1&2 as a complimentary bestiary to the BFRPG core rules and field guide. Outside of some basic conversion work, it's fairly easy to run 1e AD&D.

With things like this, Ignore many details in AD&D that aren't in BFRPG. But it's compatible enough between the two that My Saturday group is in the world of Greyhawk, and I've borrowed things from dragon magazine to add some crunch and fluff to it. The Compatibility has actually become a great reason for me to get old modules without getting the rulebooks of 1st ed. Personally it's helped me find the fun in retro games since I started on 3rd edition.
Never stop dreaming, the imagination is the greatest gift we have.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

It's cliche, but I find for Halloween you can't beat Ravenloft. I did that with different groups for a couple years.
Dreamakuma

Post by Dreamakuma »

LibraryLass wrote:It's cliche, but I find for Halloween you can't beat Ravenloft. I did that with different groups for a couple years.
Ravenloft is excellent just because of the randomness. It's replayability makes it good for a visit.
Never stop dreaming, the imagination is the greatest gift we have.
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

I've actually never have ventured into Castle Ravenloft. Closest I've come was a 4E game where we stormed a vampire's castle but had to flee when ghouls started rushing us.

Hmm... Now I want to play 4E again...
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

seandon4 wrote:I don't want to make it confusing for players who have the itch to thumb through the books at the table.
If you are going to use an advanced adventure then the players will suffer no confusion as you will be the only one seeing the difference between the adventure and the core rules.
If you plan on using other rulebooks alongside the BFRPG one please note that the games you named have some different mechanics than BF and it could lead to some confusion unless you take the time to mark which rules from what books are going to be used, Hit Dice, class abilities, attack bonus, monster statistics and more could be very different depending on what book a players is looking at.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Halloween?

House of Coldarius, from Strongholds of Sorcery. A vampire, a flesh golem (aka Frankenstein's Monster), a wererat, some other undead, big honkin' spiders and even a bloodsucking rosebush, all packed into a creepy tower.

It's what I wrote it for.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org