Advanced Edition Games and Halloween is a coming...

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
seandon4

Re: Advanced Edition Games and Halloween is a coming...

Post by seandon4 »

Thanks everyone! I'll check these out.

I actually ran Night's Dark Terror on roll20. It is by no means a one-shot though; definitely a campaign module, unless you take a small part of it. :)
Dimirag wrote:If you plan on using other rulebooks alongside the BFRPG one please note that the games you named have some different mechanics than BF and it could lead to some confusion
This is my concern and why I'm thinking the AEC might be a good fit as it tries to bridge the gap between B/X and 1e. It's also why I started my own B/X to 1e conversion guide for BFRPG (I have not posted it yet), but the trouble is it doesn't cover all the 1e specific spells and items... wonder if those should all be added to the Additional Spells BF supplement at some point.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Your own conversion guide or playset is the best thing you can do as it lets you to convert the rules you want to have converted.

As for spells: I don't know how much increment in power is between editions, modifying spells could be a lengthy and tedious task, I reccomend you to stick with the BF spells, and, if you want or must, convert if necessary the advanced spells you think are a requirement for your campaign.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Dimirag wrote: As for spells: I don't know how much increment in power is between editions, modifying spells could be a lengthy and tedious task, I recommend you to stick with the BF spells, and, if you want or must, convert if necessary the advanced spells you think are a requirement for your campaign.
That's the point though - the AEC already has all that 1E content - spells, monsters, magic items, etc - converted to be compatible with Labyrinth Lord, and by extension, with B/X and BFRPG as well. There really is no conversion to be done.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Oh, didn't know that, I thought AEC was more in line with changing the game into and advances version and not to make it close but still basic.

Then, for spells and magic items use the AEC and for the rules use your own file.
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Dimirag wrote:Oh, didn't know that, I thought AEC was more in line with changing the game into and advances version and not to make it close but still basic.
IMO, Dan Proctor did an amazing job on the AEC. Rather than being something akin to a clone of 1E, he took all that content and simplified it to be usable with LL. His goal, as I understand it, was to be able to have the extra stuff from 1E but not all the crunch and extra rules - especially obtuse rules few people used in practice anyway. I highly recommend it - you can get the free no-art version at RPGNow.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I have it since a really long time, barely read it as I though it was meant to convert the game into an advance edition (separate race and classes, 4 type of HD and attack matrices, etc) but I just took a look to it and some things aren't there, so its not as quite as I thought.
Last edited by Dimirag on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Definitely not just conversion, AEC has all the 1e spells and items that B/X does not have. For that purpose OSRIC could be used as well, as in "index", but not for rules.

I was tempted to list the "missing" 1e spells in my document, but opted to just say "refer to an advanced game compatible document for details."

But now I'm tempted to actually list them for BF's existing New Spells supplement, for starters... if Solo is still open to the idea.

But then there's the whole issue of altering tables, copyrighted spell names, etc. And the modularity issue: say, someone may prefer the 2e version of a spell over the 1e wording. But one thing at a time