Getting into a Play by Post game

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Robin Carver

Getting into a Play by Post game

Post by Robin Carver »

Hi all.
New here and very interested in a Play by Post game more of a text based game than a Roll 20 version. If anyone has an opening in such a game let me know. Thanks!
Mickomann

Re: Getting into a Play by Post game

Post by Mickomann »

Hi! I'm new as well, and would also love to be in a PbP. Wonder if we could start one?
You are in a tavern, and the tavern is without beer. What is your action?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The procedure for starting a play-by-post is to start with an invitational thread in General Discussion; at the very least it must identify the game master, but it's always good to include a list of the supplements (if any) that will be used. After enough people have volunteered to play, the game master sends me a private message and I spin up a new PbP forum for the new game.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post by Longman »

I'm opening up a new spot in my Boldenwald game if either (or both) of you guys are interested.

It's not like a normal PbP, though. This would be a fairly large party of characters, and their actions would all be controlled by whoever happens to be posting at the time.

So you wouldn't have your own individual characters. I'd give you a bunch of pregens and let you pick a scenario and then we'd start. If Mickomann was around, he could control the whole group. If Robin turned up, he could run things for a day, a turn, or a few rounds of combat. You guys would have to discuss your general tactics with each other, of course.

So far I've tried solo games in Boldenwald where one person runs the whole party. This has worked well, but we do stall if the player gets busy in RL. I'd like to start up a new chapter, where a small group (2-3 players) shared responsibility for a large party (8 characters).

If either of you are interested I can contact Solo and we can talk about a scenario.
Mickomann

Post by Mickomann »

Sounds like something different Longman, but i'm willing to give it a shot. Just unsure of how 'in to character' i'll be able to get with sharing though.

Let me know if you end up doing it, i'm in!
You are in a tavern, and the tavern is without beer. What is your action?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Cool.

I'll see if anyone else bites and wants to help you run this group.

If not, you can just start up your own solo campaign with me, if you like. Terra Australis! Or maybe somewhere tropical...

Incidentally, have you tried RPOL? (Role Play On Line.) There's some decent action over there. You might be able to get into a game called Remnants of the Forge, run by Delver (The Usher). He's playing BFRPG, and it's pretty good.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

We need someone to take over a character in our play by post. Pm me if your interested.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Longman wrote: You might be able to get into a game called Remnants of the Forge, run by Delver (The Usher). He's playing BFRPG, and it's pretty good.
I second the game. Real life forced me to halt my joining his game so there is a mostly completed character over there (Evrik, ranger/thief) open. The character just needs some background and he is ready to play. Usher is a cool dude and is very nice GM.
Delver

Post by Delver »

Ah shucks! Thank you Longman and Metroknight! I'm humbled by the compliments. Thank you.

Yes, I'm running a BF game over there that seems to finally be hitting its stride. I've got some great players and that's what makes the difference. The game is a little slow right now due to my hectic summer schedule, but if your are up for a 1-3 post per week game, currently favoring the 1 rather than the 3, that is heavy role-play and has a few house rules, then I could accept one or two more players. PM me if interested. I have a couple of "open" characters... Start at 4th level.

If I had more time, I'd start a game here, but I came to BF after I'd already gotten my feet wet on RPOL, so I'm sort of biased to that venue. This is a great community, and I would encourage anyone to jump in and try running a PbP game. The rules are so well done that they really compliment the PbP format, and most players are casual enough and creative enough that the story sort of runs itself if you get the right mix. Give it a try! Some of my best players are the ones I've recruited right here, so there's some great opportunities, especially for a newb GM, or at least new to PbP, as lots of these guys (and gals) here have experience running games and are happy to help out.

Good luck!
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman