Basic Fantasy RPG Boxed Set? a.k.a. "Black Box Set"?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
JenniferRPG

Basic Fantasy RPG Boxed Set? a.k.a. "Black Box Set"?

Post by JenniferRPG »

Hello. My name is Jennifer. I started playing Classic D&D when I was a kid about 32 years ago with the Mentzer set I believe. I always wanted to DM but never got the chance.

Now 32 years later, I have the urge again to DM. I bought the D&D 5.0 Starter Set and was not satisfied with it. After a bit of research I decided to revert back to Classic D&D and have really enjoyed the Moldvay Basic book recently. I printed the Moldvay PDF out and have been studying it for the past week --- ahhh the memories.

I was about to go with Moldvay until I found out about Basic Fantasy RPG yesterday. It is so Moldvay-esque but polished and updated with d20 instead of thac0 etc. And there are so many modules made for Basic Fantasy RPG as well -- ones that look a little easier to read than the old ones. I especially like that there are solo dungeons for Basic Fantasy RPG available since I'll be doing a lot of ONE on ONE with my nephew.

Anyways, so I covered my 5e Starter Set Box with black poster board, printed out the Basic Fantasy RPG book cover--on my HP Laserjet 200 m251nw (like 10 cents to print with non-OEM ink cartridges)--and pasted it on the top of the box.

Just before I pasted on the top piece (covering my 5e starter set box) :

Printed out the Rules and the Field Guide and going to have each spiral bound with full color covers (protected by clear vinyl sheet in front) and a nice thick black vinyl back on each.

I think it'd be really neat if Basic Fantasy RPG offered a box set! It'd really suit it since Moldvay Basic set came in a box! :)

I'm excited! I really like the artwork and how easy it is to read these rules -- just like Moldvay but even better! I can't stand the grey parchment paper in the 5e DMG, so much harder to read. SO much FLUFF in 5e PHB + DMG .. too much for a beginning DM!

Jennifer
Koren_nRhys

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG Boxed Set? a.k.a. "Black Box Set"?

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics.

I too started way back in the day, with Moldvay Basic and moved on through AD&D 1E then 2E through high school and college. Came back to gaming about 5 yrs ago, discovering the amazing online communities and fell back in love with B/X and then Labyrinth Lord and it's support materials. Since then I've found BFRPG and become a convert for many of the same reasons you give.

You'll find this to be a supportive and welcoming community, so...
See you around the board!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I can tell you that the discussion of making a box set has come up many times. Essentially this is how it boils down. making a box set would be a labor intensive project as compared to just putting the BFRPG books on createspace, lulu, etc and letting them deal with the ordering and shipping. This isn't a business for Chris (Solomoriah) where he has any interest in making a profit so he has no interest in doing the work to create a box set. He has said that he is OK with someone else putting one together (remembering that this is a not for profit operation) but no one has actually stepped up to the plate to do it. I had suggested that if we did do this we could use any profits to send Chris to various cons to promote BFRPG. A kickstarter has also been suggested.
Mickomann

Post by Mickomann »

This is a really awesome idea! Thanks for giving me a use for my 5e Starter Box which just sits in the cupboard (best part about it was the dice).

On a side note, its great to see someone else with the same set of dice as me!
You are in a tavern, and the tavern is without beer. What is your action?
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

I think if there is a boxed set Solomoriah would want to sell, it would be Iron Falcon. That is, after all, a for profit adventure for him.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

I love that idea! Not that I play much anymore but I'd build a box set like that just to have sitting around the house.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

This is a really nifty idea. The question is, then, what to include. I would assume the most up-to-date rulebook and a set of cheap but nice dice, but what else? Fantasy Field Guide? A small number of pre-made and blank character sheets? A starter adventure?

If it were done, these sort of things would need to be considered but I will say this: I would totally buy it!
teaman

Post by teaman »

Michaels craft store sells cardboard boxes that might work for this kind of project, not sure of the dimensions.

Now I have to get myself to Michaels! Where's that dang coupon?
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

Coming back to this, I think a Black Box Set would be really cool. It could also have a small flyer in there with a listing of Solomoriah's other game Iron Falcon.
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

If I were making a Starter box as a gift, I'd go with dice, the Core rules and Morgansfort. Probably the Field Guide too, since everything is so cheap. That's all more than enough for someone to start their own campaign.