LibreOffice and Fonts

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
frzntoz

LibreOffice and Fonts

Post Mon May 11, 2015 11:13 pm

I've recently re-installed LibreOffice and the fonts used in the BF documents. I'm having an issue where the font weight for Soutane is much heavier than it should be (and not like most BF documents). Instead I'm getting documents, both the ODT and PDF files, show the fonts with the weight shown in the X in 6 Action Checks document.

I'm on a macbook pro, but the font looks fine in other applications. I'm wondering if I'm missing a setting in LibreOffice, or maybe there is an issue with the fonts and LibreOffice's rendering. The fonts were downloaded years ago (and worked fine then). Any insight would be appreciated.
--
pax et bonum,
frzntoz
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: LibreOffice and Fonts

Post Tue May 12, 2015 7:49 am

Ur. I don't use MacOS, so I have no idea, but I've not heard of this behavior on other platforms.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post Tue May 12, 2015 10:01 am

I'll have to check/test my Mac laptop when I get home. I always had layout problems with LO on Mac so had to use Linux/Windows when I was working on the Field Guide. Which version of LO did you install, Stable or Fresh? Where did you get your Soutane fonts from?

You mention it looks wrong on PDFs, but not in other apps (I assume Word or Pages)? I can't remember if Solo embeds fonts in the PDFs or not. Have you tested other PDF viewers (on Mac I only know of Preview and Acrobat)?
frzntoz

Post Tue May 12, 2015 10:41 am

chiisu81 wrote:I'll have to check/test my Mac laptop when I get home. I always had layout problems with LO on Mac so had to use Linux/Windows when I was working on the Field Guide. Which version of LO did you install, Stable or Fresh
I was just using the version that they provide with their download link - version 4.4.3.2. This is the first time I've used LO on Yosemite, and lord knows there as has been issues with this version of OS X.
chiisu81 wrote:Where did you get your Soutane fonts from?
I don't remember. Its was quite a few years ago. Maybe I should replace them. Could you send a message with where you get the versions you're using?
chiisu81 wrote:You mention it looks wrong on PDFs, but not in other apps (I assume Word or Pages)? I can't remember if Solo embeds fonts in the PDFs or not. Have you tested other PDF viewers (on Mac I only know of Preview and Acrobat)?
I've only done some quickly preliminary tests, but I will check further when I have free time this weekend. I might just end up editing in a linux vm. Thanks for the feedback. :)
--
pax et bonum,
frzntoz
chiisu81

Post Tue May 12, 2015 2:10 pm

frzntoz wrote:This is the first time I've used LO on Yosemite, and lord knows there as has been issues with this version of OS X.
Yeah Yosemite has been terrible; I'll likely do a fresh install of Mavericks soon.
I don't remember. Its was quite a few years ago. Maybe I should replace them. Could you send a message with where you get the versions you're using?
Yeah I'll PM you a link to my BFRPG fonts folder.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Tue May 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Fonts are always embedded in our PDFs. Any other way is madness... :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org