What type of dices do I need to play this game?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Ulver

What type of dices do I need to play this game?

Post by Ulver »

Hello I have never played tabletop rpg's, this will be my first time. I was wondering what type of dices (4-sided, 6-sided...) and how many of them do I need to play?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: What type of dices do I need to play this game?

Post by Solomoriah »

If you're going to be a player, one of each of the standard sizes is a minimum. You'll probably want three six-sided dice (d6's) and a pair of different-colored d10's to roll as percentiles (or a single and double digit d10 if you prefer, i.e. one marked 00 to 90 and one marked 0 to 9).
Attachments
dice01.jpg
dice01.jpg (97.98 KiB) Viewed 6914 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

What do you guys typically do for monsters that have huge amount of hit dice, say 10. Do you roll your D8 ten times and add it up, or do you usually use an android/ios device with a dice calculator (I'll probably go with the latter for monster hit points.. the rest I'll roll by hand.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

JenniferRPG wrote:What do you guys typically do for monsters that have huge amount of hit dice, say 10. Do you roll your D8 ten times and add it up, or do you usually use an android/ios device with a dice calculator (I'll probably go with the latter for monster hit points.. the rest I'll roll by hand.
Rolling is more fun than the digital results!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

You will very quickly realize that you can never have enough dice and not soon after that the issue of having enough dice to roll for higher-level monsters will be non-existent. :P
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Roll them up! As rolling HP is made out of game time it is not an issue if you don't have all the required dice to roll at once.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

It's always fun to roll real dice! Apps can be handy, but not nearly as much fun, IMO. As Blazeguard said, not having enough dice doesn't seem to stay a problem for long. For whatever reason, we gamers DO seem to be dice addicts. Those little lumps of plastic are like nuggets of crack!
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

Oh I figured you rolled the hit dice every time they encounter monsters whether they be static or wandering, especially the latter.

So a couple wandering 9 hit die monsters.... the player's would have to wait for a lot of rolling and math. heh.

I was actually thinking about buying a bag of 10 d8 hit dice. I bought 36 12mm chessex dice recently for like $6.. too bad hit dice aren't d6 instead lol. Time to buy more dice!

Jennifer
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

I normally buy Chessex dice. What do you guys think about the ent-mart brand. Ent-mart is the only brand of dice I see that sells a large number of d8.. in this case a set of 10 d8 (hit dice) for only $4.99. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about, let me know if I should "roll" with them, thanks! :

JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

Or I could buy a chessex "pound-o-dice".. that ought to have around 10 d8 in it yeah?