Great start

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
kg8jk

Great start

Post by kg8jk »

We had our first short session yesterday and it went great. Thanks for all the advice and ideas.

I created a scenario where the party was leaving one town (no ale or adventure to be had) and headed to another (Brymassen from AA1). As part of the opening description I told them a crazy old hag was at the gate and warned them that the road was dangerous. I didn't say anything else but they right away jumped into the role playing and decided to engage the hag in conversation. She told of people disappearing along the road and rumors of a haunted graveyard. They asked her if she knew where the graveyard was but I decided she didn't know. Then they asked if anyone else might now and so I added in a guard at the gate.

While they were talking to the guard our thief decided he wanted to pick the guard's pocket. Since he would need to roll a 30, I added in that the rest of the party could see in his eyes that he was about to do something stupid so our MU added in that he tripped the thief with his staff. Fantastic.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting them to jump right in like that. I figured they would just head out of town and come straight to the graveyard senario and that would be that.

In the graveyard, they examened the stones, etc and at the base of one of the graves they saw something shiny and of course our thief couldn't help himself and had to pick it up. When he did a ghoul reached out of the grave and grabed him by the arm. He missed his saving throw and ended up paralyzed while the others were fighting the ghoul which eventually they defeated (but there is another one ...
evil laugh
) There is also a partial dungeon map of Brymassen in the treasure of the ghouls if they find it.

That is where we left off and all that in just half an hour! I think I am going to try and do a hybrid game with some post to play via email for the exploring town part etc. so we can use our short sessions for the fun stuff.

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share my graveyard scenario. It seemed to make a good start to the adventure.

Thanks again!
Phelan
Koren_nRhys

Re: Great start

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Sounds like a great start indeed! Thanks for sharing.

I was supposed to run a session of my kids game on Sunday but some illness and a rescheduled little league game scuttled that plan. Not sure when we'll get back to it now.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

sounds fun
jw76

Post by jw76 »

One of my favorite things about being a GM is the expected unexpected directions that the players pull the game after just minutes of playing. It really helps to keep my attention and increases the enjoyment for me as the GM.

Also, since I love checking out other peoples scenarios I would love it if you wanted to share it. That would be cool.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

kg8jk wrote:If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share my graveyard scenario. It seemed to make a good start to the adventure.
Yes, gimme :D
kg8jk

Ghost in the Graveyard

Post by kg8jk »

Ghost in the graveyard
“Your party finds itself in a small village where it took less than half a day to drink all the ale in town and discover that the only rumors revolve around the local milk maid and a certain member of the chief council. So you have decided to move on to the next town where perhaps your thirst for adventure (and ale) could be better satisfied. As you head through the gates, you meet the town hag who warns you of dangers on the road. Your keen powers of observation tell you that her senseless ramblings are about as reliable as wet hygienic paper.
(If the players decide to engage in conversation with the old lady she will warn them of strange disappearances along the road and rumors of a haunted graveyard).
Several hours into your journey, you come to a dark patch of woods with some strangely shaped stones, some of which seem to be broken, sticking up in rather peculiar rows…”

If the group chooses to investigate further, they will notice some ancient writing on the stones. The writing is worn, thus making it difficult to read. A rubbing made with a parchment will reveal the names and dates of the departed. (optional: one stone could contain a spell, partial map to a dungeon or clues on how to overcome a future encounter, etc.).
(If they decide to leave or without investigating the graveyard, a ghoul will attack the last member of the party as they continue down the path)

At the base of one of the stones (GM’s choice or roll d6 ignoring graves #7 and #8), the characters can see something shiny (gold piece). If a character chooses to pick it up a Ghoul will reach out of the grave and grab them by the arm causing 1d4 damage. On the player’s next turn, they must make a successful attack roll to free themselves from the ghoul or suffer another 1d4 of damage. Once free the ghoul will emerge from the grave. If the other players rush to help, another ghoul emerges from an adjacent grave.
Phelan
kg8jk

more

Post by kg8jk »

Here is some more...sorry it wouldn't load properly so I had to split it up.

http://www.clipartpal.com/_thumbs/pd/ho ... _scene.png

I had four ghouls with the following HP: 13, 7 , 9 , 12

Treasure:
In the center of the graveyard is a large rectangular box with a lid (#8). This is where the Ghouls keep the treasure they have acquired from their victims. It is not trapped and the players should be able to easily remove the lid. Inside they find a random assortment of items that a traveler would be carrying most of which is of no value or has been there so long it is not useful anymore. There are several pouches (with 400 gold coins total) and a set of chain armor which the characters can take. If you want to leave a clue/spell on one of the tombstones, you may also want to include a piece of parchment with a partial rubbing from one of the tombstones and a piece of charcoal in with the treasure.
Phelan