More Currency Types

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
LordHawk

More Currency Types

Post by LordHawk »

Does anyone use other forms of coinage in your campaigns?

Years ago, me and a friend came up with something called Crown pieces, it was a mix of mithril and platinum, worth 20gp
Mint

Re: More Currency Types

Post by Mint »

I'm using this system that I stewed together in my PBP campaign:

In using it with BFRPG I further said that where it says gold piece in the rules users of this system should read, instead, silver piece and go from there.

Coins are:
1" in diameter, 1/10" thick
1 coin = 1 ounce = 1/16th of a pound

1 Brass = 1/10th of 1 Copper = $1 (Farthing)
1 Copper = 1 hour of work for a common laborer = $10 (Pence)
1 Silver = 10 Coppers = 1 day of work for a common laborer = $100 (Shilling)
1 Gold = 20 Silvers = 1 month of work for a common laborer = $2,000 (Crown)
1 Platinum = 12 Gold = 1 year of work for a common laborer = $24,000 (Sovereign)

Note: These values are approximate and subject to the pressures of the economy. Nevertheless they do provide a more or less accurate idea of the value of a coin.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Personally, I don't think what currency you use enhances the game at all and can actually be a hendrence if its to complicated. I like having a standard currency in all games I play because I just want to buy things or people (or judge the value of items) with the coinage. I don't want to have to be an expert on international monetary systems when buying an ale at a tavern or tipping a peasant when they carry my bags.
LordHawk

Post by LordHawk »

i just found this on an old character sheet

Adamantite (Ap) = 10 Gp
Orichlem (Op) = 20 Gp
Mithril (Mp) = 50 Gp
Chromenium (ChP) = 100 Gp
Tellon (Tp) = 500 Gp
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

I feel pretty confident that the only people who care about changing the currency types are DMs. :) Thats not a bad thing if they are doing it because that makes them feel more creative. Being a DM is a tough calling. They have to dedicate more time and creativity than any of the players. So if fiddling with coinage makes them happy then its all to the good. But speaking as a player, the last thing that needs to be changed in gaming is the coinage.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Player: I'm going to buy that armor.
GM: its 200 drets
Player: mmm I have 200 wosh...
GM: You'll have to go to the exchange market, but wosh are not a valuable coin here, so you will lose some money in the exchange...
Player: I'll head to the black exchange market or to some dret rich abandoned ruin...
And so a new adventure begins!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:I feel pretty confident that the only people who care about changing the currency types are DMs. :) Thats not a bad thing if they are doing it because that makes them feel more creative. Being a DM is a tough calling. They have to dedicate more time and creativity than any of the players. So if fiddling with coinage makes them happy then its all to the good. But speaking as a player, the last thing that needs to be changed in gaming is the coinage.
I am in agreement with this. Cannot see spending mental energy on such variations. Standard coins for me.

That said, I have on occasion told players that they would have to convert to local currency when they traveled to a distant land... but then gp were still gp and sp were still sp, etc. It was just a means to send them to a exchange place to trade in money (for a fee which bled off a little of their funds).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LordHawk

Post by LordHawk »

Hywaywolf wrote:I feel pretty confident that the only people who care about changing the currency types are DMs. :) Thats not a bad thing if they are doing it because that makes them feel more creative. Being a DM is a tough calling. They have to dedicate more time and creativity than any of the players. So if fiddling with coinage makes them happy then its all to the good. But speaking as a player, the last thing that needs to be changed in gaming is the coinage.
I wouldnt change exisiting coin types, but I would add 1 or 2 more valuable types
, Mithril or adamandite coins for instance
Mint

Post by Mint »

Ow. :(
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I could add more expensive coins, give names for each of them for different kingdoms, change the value progression from one coin to another, but remaking the whole thing is a waste of the GM's creative energy and party's learning energies.

It could be cool to have a list of expensive coins for those who wants to add them o their games :)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/