Resting in dungeons

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
spaceLem

Re: Resting in dungeons

Post by spaceLem »

I'm in a Basic D&D game where we have both HP and LP (equal to con), and you recover 1/5 of your HP every night, and 1/5 of your LP every week (min 1 in both cases).

This means reasonably fast healing for everyone, so long as no one is actually injured (loss of LP through crits or backstabs). Healing magic returns 1 LP per die, and the usual HP. There are various downsides to losing LP, not least the slow drain of HP if you don't treat the wound.

With this system, resting in dungeons is possible at low level, but still risky, and also gives a nice separation of fatigue and cosmetic damage, and actual major injuries and life threatening damage.
Longman

Re: Resting in dungeons

Post by Longman »

- 1 hit point per night
- 2 hit points for a full day and night with almost no activity. This can include in dungeons provided the characters have bedrolls.
- Add 1 hit point for a successful healing background skill roll
- Add 1 hit point per 2 character levels.

I don't add Con bonus because I figure characters with one get a HP advantage every level anyway, and increasing their healing rate makes it too easy.

In some games I use 1st level HP as Life Points, which heal much more slowly than the normal rate. But all HP above 1st level return at 1/ hour. This is good for fast healing, but makes serious injury below initial HP levels a really serious problem.