Quasi-North American Fantasy Lands

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: Quasi-North American Fantasy Lands

Post by SmootRK »

Dwarves from Core Rules (with changes and additions)
Description: Dwarves are a short, stocky race; both male and female Dwarves stand around four feet tall and typically weigh around 120 pounds. Most dwarves keep long hair and thick beards which they take great pride in. They have a fair to ruddy complexion. Dwarves have stout frames and a strong, muscular build. They are rugged and resilient, with the capacity to endure great hardships. Dwarves are typically practical, stubborn and courageous. They can also be introspective, suspicious and possessive. They have a lifespan of three to four centuries.

Restrictions: They are required to have a minimum Constitution of 9. Due to their generally dour dispositions, they may not have a Charisma higher than 17. They may not employ Large weapons more than four feet in length (specifically, two-handed swords, polearms, and longbows).

Special Abilities: All Dwarves have Darkvision with a 60' range, and are able to detect slanting passages, traps, shifting walls and new construction on a roll of 1-2 on 1d6; a search must be performed before this roll may be made.

Saving Throws: Dwarves save at +4 vs. Death Ray or Poison, Magic Wands, Paralysis or Petrify, and Spells, and at +3 vs. Dragon Breath.

Dwarven society is centered upon membership in various clans or guilds. There are major divisions based upon region or even racial differences, and guild or unions usually oriented around a certain industry. Membership in these guild-clans is largely hereditary, but it is possible to join another guild when one's talents lead them in different directions. Regardless the clan/guild ties are generally stronger than even one's actual blood relations. One clan usually rises to prominence in a particular region.

Some of the major regional clans include Clan Alpine, Clan Glacier of the northern reaches, Clan Duergar of the deep dwelling folk, (need more clan names). Guild names are diverse with ties to industry such as Anvil March, Blackrock, Forgeborne, Hammersmith, Merchant League, Union of Masons, and many others.

Note that some minor clans are quite woodsy in their inclinations. They work as lumberjacks, carpenters, wainwrights, or maple harvesters. Some of these woodland oriented dwarves lead a more isolationist life wandering the wilds as mountain-men trapping for fur, prospecting for new mines or other wilderness endeavors.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Longman

Post by Longman »

I like the sound of this, but if it was me, I'd do less re-skinning where monsters are concerned, and go for more native American lore as a source for weird stuff that the players might not know anything about.

The Wendigo springs to mind. (I'm sure I saw that referenced on here somewhere but I've searched and can't find it.) That's somewhat like an Algonquin werewolf and there's a link to a taboo against cannibalism, otherwise you risk becoming one.

The Stiff-Legged Bear is another one, perhaps a mammoth sized bear?

The flying heads are another one. These are vampiric human skulls of people who died after terrible crimes - once again, often cannibalism.

I once did a similar thing with a game loosely set in Ireland under Norse occupation, and the choice of monsters was pretty wild and wonderful.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Longman wrote:I like the sound of this, but if it was me, I'd do less re-skinning where monsters are concerned, and go for more native American lore as a source for weird stuff that the players might not know anything about.

The Wendigo springs to mind. (I'm sure I saw that referenced on here somewhere but I've searched and can't find it.) That's somewhat like an Algonquin werewolf and there's a link to a taboo against cannibalism, otherwise you risk becoming one.

The Stiff-Legged Bear is another one, perhaps a mammoth sized bear?

The flying heads are another one. These are vampiric human skulls of people who died after terrible crimes - once again, often cannibalism.

I once did a similar thing with a game loosely set in Ireland under Norse occupation, and the choice of monsters was pretty wild and wonderful.
I will draw from as much as I can manage, but bear in mind (and like I said a couple of times) that this is not a historically (or mythologically) accurate setting. After all I am importing elves and dwarves and halflings and medieval armor & weapons, then tossing in a liberal dose of ice-age lost world and who knows what else. lol I certainly don't have the either the historical/mythological knowledge to do something with any semblance of accuracy, but I know there are some really cool things that I can draw from and mish-mash together with what I am familiar with after so many years of fantasy gaming in the traditional settings. And, I basically want the game to play as familiar as possible, with just quirky uniqueness in the setting otherwise.

Your suggested creatures are very welcome. I will need to do a little research on these in order to bring them into play. I was planning a sort of Bearzilla spirit creature (perhaps even singularly unique)... something that awakens every so often that eats mammoths and such regularly.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Note that some minor clans are quite woodsy in their inclinations. They work as lumberjacks, carpenters, wainwrights, or maple harvesters. Some of these woodland oriented dwarves lead a more isolationist life wandering the wilds as mountain-men trapping for fur, prospecting for new mines or other wilderness endeavors.
Dwarven Voyageurs running 24' to 35' canoes up and down the northern rivers, taking trade goods to the interior while bringing furs back to civilization.
Longman

Post by Longman »

SmootRK wrote:I certainly don't have the either the historical/mythological knowledge to do something with any semblance of accuracy, but I know there are some really cool things that I can draw from and mish-mash together with what I am familiar with after so many years of fantasy gaming in the traditional settings. And, I basically want the game to play as familiar as possible, with just quirky uniqueness in the setting otherwise.
Accuracy has never been an issue for me. I normally do the mish-mash thing. Players never complain.

Familiarity is a much more important concern. I like for the players to have to learn stuff experientially and for this reason I like to have a lot of unfamiliar elements. But if you want mostly familiarity, then it sounds like you already have what you need. You have some pretty new monsters in the mix, anyway.

Floating death heads that carry spiders, though? I mean that's pretty cool.

shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

You've got to do something with this take on Neanderthal.

Though if you're doing the Sasquach, this looks very much like a short (5 1/2' to 6') version of that creature.

I love the idea of this setting. I would love to do a "Great White North" setting, with all of the lakes and rivers, natives with their canoes, and European style settlers colonizing. I'm already taking my Purists setting in that direction, and will most likely be moving it from the Western Lands to my own unique setting pretty soon.

If I recall correctly, there is a GURPS supplement (GURPS Fantasy II) with a setting based on North America before colonization. GURPS also has an Ice Age supplement that might be helpful if you can get your hands on it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I was going to add in Cavemen (from Core Rules monsters, made into a 'race' in the Monsters as Characters Supplement) as an optional race. This more feral interpretation is quite scary, and I think I will incorporate these as the same 'race' but evil bad cousins that remain wild.

I do plan a full sasquatch creature. And I was looking at some cool images for a Wendigo creature... scary undead or demonic beastie. These images are where I am getting inspiration. It will be original when I get around to it.
Image Image
Longman

Post by Longman »

shadowmane wrote:I would love to do a "Great White North" setting, with European style settlers colonizing.
This sounds like the best of both worlds. You could have human beings of either European colonist or tribal origin, plus, do whatever you wanted with dwarves and elves. Maybe elves are a European style race, but dwarves have been discovered by the colonists living in the New World.

The last Wendigo pic looks cool.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Yeah, that last picture was impressive. The Wendigo is a kind of a wight, I would think. Or maybe a kind of a ghost, with the ability to drain, but also the ability to turn you into a Wendigo too.

There is actually something similar to a "Great White North" setting in the last issue of Threshold Magazine on the Vaults of Pandius site. Its Mystara, but it can be adapted. It uses Halflings as the colonists.