Supplements Anthology?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
SmootRK

Re: Supplements Anthology?

Post Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Mr Dark wrote:While the idea seems good on paper, I would rather build my own game of the existing supplements. Once you get an anthology out it will give the false impression that this is an official expansion and somehow needed.
Agree as well. While it is not so nice as an actual "official" book on a shelf, my Houserules document is a hodge-podge of supplements, my own tweaks, and more. Developing one's own Anthology is even more useful than a book full of stuff that one does not actually want or use in a particular game. Unearthed Arcana is one such book that seems cool, but in the end there is an awful lot of stuff that good (or even decent) Game Masters exclude from their games... and for good reason; much is horribly un-balanced.
Mr Dark

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:32 pm

I have a binder that has what supplements I want, rules adjustments and campaign notes. I consider it my 'DMG' for the game.
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!
Koren_nRhys

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:37 am

I, too, started with a 3 ring binder of things I printed out. A copy of the core rules (before I bought a proper print copy) and all the supps that looked interesting. At the same time, I grabbed the ODT files.

As I read through in more detail, and try things in play, I've weeded out options that I don't like after all and tweaked things for my group. The supplemental bits that make the cut are being merged into a single house rules supplement ODT file that I print out periodically.

The beauty of BFRPG is that it's all open and the master files are here to be manipulated as desired. I have to agree that any "official" print compilation will be of limited use to any given group. Though I admit that I do like the nice color covers that are put together for the official anthologies...
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:24 am

The items we have in print are the most shareable items. The Core Rules were crafted carefully to contain only those things that everyone agreed were needed; I got a lot of emails (still do) saying "Basic Fantasy RPG is great, but it'd be perfect if it had X" where "X" might be paladins or sorcerers or zombie chickens or whatever. Whenever a majority of people I respected said the game needed a certain X, it tended to get included; but most of the time, X is different from one person to another.

The other reason I don't like an "official" supplement anthology is because custom classes are so VERY VERY hard to get right. I'm not even sure the ones on the Downloads page are good, and I wrote some of them. A bad class (or race) can just about ruin a campaign, so I tread very carefully in blessing any of them.

I can virtually guarantee no such anthology will ever see print as an "official" Basic Fantasy Project publication. Hopefully you all can see why.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hernes Son

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:30 am

Now I really want to have zombie chickens in the next edition.
The Hooded Man will come to the forest, there to meet with Herne the Hunter, to be his son and do his bidding.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:57 am

AA1 has some...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:15 pm

and Zombie Cows and Milkmaids.. weirdest encounter my players ever had..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Dimirag

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:37 pm

We only need some zombie pork and zombie fishes!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/martin.dimirag/
Mr Dark

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Creepers. We must have creepers.
Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!!