Pets in Basic Fantasy

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
velkymx

Pets in Basic Fantasy

Post by velkymx »

One of the key items all of my younger players ask for after playing SimpleDnD for a while is, “Can I have a pet?”

So I asked around, and the internet had very little in the way of pets in any RPG. I asked on a few boards and still not a direct line to pet rules. I read some reference, scratched my head, and here’s what I’ve come up with.

Blog Post and Details
dymondy2k

Re: Pets in Basic Fantasy

Post by dymondy2k »

I like it!!

May I suggest a ferret as a pet? I mean they were good enough for the Beastmaster!
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
velkymx

Post by velkymx »

How would you write up the ferret for your game?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I would make them something sneaky and thievey... I can tell you from owning them in real life.. they do love to steal stuff.. Maybe some bonus' to certain thieves skills?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
velkymx

Post by velkymx »

Maybe they could be pick pockets?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

One of my friends has two of them, really sneaky and thievish creatures.

I like what you've wrote so far, I tend to just give them the pet and judge on the fly what they can do.

My AD&D thief has some pets with the Cleric's party, we paid to a trainer to teach them some tricks, we have a couple of singing birds that when one whistle to them it will sing, a vulture that is quite clever, he flies hovering the skies giving alert of any sign of individuals, and a couple of lemmings that fetch small items.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Weird I got a Post Gator screen trying to post this message... strange.

Anyway, good blog post! The only worries I have about pets and young ones, is that they get REALLY attached to the pets.

My 12yo daughter, when she was younger and a newer player, was cool about her PC dying and when she asked for a "war dog" to accompany her, I figured it was a great way to add an NPC to help her. Whew, WRONG, the dog protected her, but when it was killed (strike that, DM intervention made the dog "not dead") she cried and cried. It was terrible. We had to heal the dog up, with the agreement that it was to retire to the PC's parent's farm. Then I instituted a no more pets rule.

Now my 10yo is fascinated with MUs and keeps wanting to get a familiar... oh boy.
Very nice and concise blog post, I like it, but I'd worry about introducing pets to kids that are too young. Just my two coppers.
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I tend to make pets not helpful in combat situations and make them part of the equipment, not suffering damage when they should. Unless of course we are talking about animal companions.

A MU's familiar could help him in lots of thing but not inside combat, specially if its a rat or a spider or a toad, or giving him some bonuses or abilities (after all they are magically bonded to the caster).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Woe

Post by Woe »

I play with pets often, and have three different approaches:

0. It's flavor. It doesn't fight, it doesn't get hurt, it doesn't do anything useful. It's used for subtle plot development or occasional humor. Non-fighting dog, parakeet, animals like that.
1. It's an NPC. It gets HP, HD, an AC. Over time it also gets skills or spells much like a normal NPC does. If you take a look at the warden supplement, that has a pretty good description of what you can do with wilderness pets, where it can learn new abilities based on its owner. War dog, paladin charger, homunculous.
2. It's a miniature giant space hamster. 'nuff said.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
velkymx

Post by velkymx »

The ferret idea is brilliant. I added it.