Cosmology - Organized or Not?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Woe

Re: Cosmology - Organized or Not?

Post by Woe »

I do something similar, but not even as formal as pvoce and longman. I use four realms in my outerverse and flesh things out only as needed:
Good realm: depending on the campaign, I might reuse an existing label with all its connotations (Valhalla) or leave it vague (Heaven)
Bad realm: Ditto. Hell is usually fire and brimstone, Underworld is usually undead, etc.
Elemental realm: Fire, water, whatever else is an element. This does vary by campaign.
Magical realm: Occasionally known as the astral plane, this is everything that is highfantasy -- faeries, unicorns, occasionally Alfheim.

Everything else I place as a plane associated with a realms. For example, the fire plane exists in the elemental realm and contains fire elementals, hellhounds, and rarely traveling red dragons. Bad realm has Hell with its 666 demon-filled planes, the Underworld with its lost souls, the Nether with its liches, etc.

It gives me a lot of flexibility with the details while still having some sort of organization. :D
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Woe wrote: Magical realm: Occasionally known as the astral plane, this is everything that is highfantasy
In a recent game of mine, we decided that there is a "magic plane" (the plane where magic weapons can do harm to monsters that are only harmed by such). Following this logic, a magic boot or magic shield could be used like a weapon (to kick or bash) a monster that only takes damage in the magic plane. In fact the Mentzer companion had rulings that support this take on it -- magic armor would not get the AC bonus toward damage however.

But it's just as well to not allow this. It just depends on how one interprets "magic weapons."
Mint

Post by Mint »

For myself I think a Planes supplement would be nice to have. No one is going to force anyone to use it after all. Those GM's who want to will and those who don't...won't. It can also be handy to have as a basis for modification to suit any number of GM's universes. Always nice to have a basis with which to springboard a new idea.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Mint, I don't want to see "a" planes supplement, but I'd be happy as a clam to see several competing visions. The main thing is, no planar supplement will ever be on the Downloads page. Things that appear there seem to have a greater degree (illusion, really) of being "official" and I absolutely don't want any "official" supplement of this sort.

On the Showcase, on the other hand, such would be more than welcome.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Mint

Post by Mint »

Solomoriah wrote:Mint, I don't want to see "a" planes supplement, but I'd be happy as a clam to see several competing visions. The main thing is, no planar supplement will ever be on the Downloads page. Things that appear there seem to have a greater degree (illusion, really) of being "official" and I absolutely don't want any "official" supplement of this sort.

On the Showcase, on the other hand, such would be more than welcome.
Ooooops! There I go again, being imprecise. I just meant that I'd love to see something someone put up here that the rest of us, if we wish, can use. That's all. Sorry. :D