BFRPG Cyberpunk

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Koren_nRhys

BFRPG Cyberpunk

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Heya folks - hope everyone is gearing up for a Happy Thanksgiving and spending some time with family and friends. I'm new to the BFRPG scene but wanted to get a topic started here for an idea of mine, and give people a chance to chime in.

I've been playing D&D on and off for ~35 years now. Started with Moldvay Basic in '81 and played up through 2nd Edition in college, then quit for a long time. Got back involved 6 or so years ago when my kids got old enough to show interest, found some great online communities and discovered the OSR. I've come to realize that the rules-light editions of my youth are still where my heart lies and played around with both original rulesets and many of the clones as well. I've also come to appreciate some of the things introduced in more modern editions and have only recently found BFRPG, which seems to nicely mesh the two. And yes, I do know there are a couple other things out there - Stars Without Number/Other Dust and supplements or Arcana Rising/Hulks & Horrors - but like any true old school rules tinkerer, I have my own ideas and preferences. :)

So. About the only other RPG I ever played was Shadowrun - hard sci-fi, supers or cthulhu never really caught my interest. I really enjoyed the concept and modern/fantasy setting of SR, moreso than proper cyberpunk, but found the rules to be unintuitive, crunchy and clunky. I'd love to be able to play that style of game again, but ideally would do so under a rule set based on B/X D&D. I've looked at doing this with one of the other clones - Labyrinth Lord or Swords & Wizardry - but for the mix of old and new I want, I'm really impressed with Basic Fantasy and can see this being a great base to build from. I never had any aspirations of selling it, just sharing for free, so no issues there. I found an old thread that Smoot started on a BFRPG Apocalypse setting, and that's a good format to use in this case too. I think I can hash out a cyberpunk supplement to detail rules for modern or near-future tech: firearms, vehicles, computers & hacking, cybernetics and so on. Then ultimately bundle that back with the fantasy elements for a stand-alone Shadowrun-like product.

I'll give you due warning that this might well go nowhere. I've been thinking about this on and off for probably 5 years or so but never seem to actually go anywhere with it. Still, I'd like to make it happen someday, so there is still hope. The link down below is to a thread of DF from about a year ago, and it links back to even older threads on the OD&D74 and S&W forums, so you can see a progression of my thoughts and other folks comments & input. I'm curious to see what kind of interest there might be here in such a beast. If I can get even a skeleton thrown together at some point, maybe this can get moved over to a Workshop thread.

Link to an old thread on Dragonsfoot with some background and ideas:
https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/view ... 42&t=59999
Last edited by Koren_nRhys on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blazeguard

Re: BFRPG Cyberpunk

Post by Blazeguard »

I would be all over this!!

I played Shadowrun when I first got to university and that was my only exposure to rpgs until I (re)discovered BFRPG.

I would love to see what you come up with.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
hjmartin70

Re: BFRPG Cyberpunk

Post by hjmartin70 »

I keep thinking of doing a hard sci-fi conversion, but then I re-read Star Frontiers or Stars Without Number and that leads me back to Traveller and I never get my round-to-it put together.
Good luck.