maps

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Chaneduh

maps

Post by Chaneduh »

Hi everyone. I am completely new to pen and paper RPGs, but I printed out the rule book and a few modules and whatnot. a group of friends and I want to play and I am the GM. My question is do I make a "board" of some sort to place character pieces on? If so why would the PCs need to draw a map? After reading a little bit on the forums I have come to think that there are no game pieces to represent each PC and they must remember where they are themselves. If anyone could clear things up that would be amazing.
-1warrior

Re: maps

Post by -1warrior »

Well, it is really personal preference. Some people use miniatures (or different colored dice) and "battle mats". Others simply use one dice on a map to represent where the characters are. Or they just remember it in their heads. Go with whichever one is easiest for you.

Welcome to the Forums. :)
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Its a matter of GM and players taste and how much simplicity or what style you want to use.

If you don't mind the players know the full location beforehand then put the map on the table. Otherwise make them map as they explore.
If you want more precise measure for movement then use a grid paper, but BFRPG combat and movement rules are simply enough than you can play without precise visuals on where are you standing and facing each round.

My recommendations: Make the players map what they explore and don't use anything for combat, make it on the fly based on the descriptions of what happened, if needed do a fast sketch on a paper to show where everyone is (or to ask where they are supposed to be)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Chaneduh

Post by Chaneduh »

Thanks for the help!
TimothyChenAllen

Post by TimothyChenAllen »

I played for about a year with a group that didn't use any map at all. I think one guy kind of made some notes-- maybe they just had been playing together for so long that they could keep track in their heads. But the GM never provided us with any kind of map. Sometimes they would use miniatures to visualize combat, but sometimes they didn't.

I guess the point is that it's not necessary ever for the GM to provide a map.
Togo Galthus

Post by Togo Galthus »

Chris Gonnerman has written an excellent primer for new pen and paper RPG players, The Role-Playing Game Primer: An Old-School Playbook, which I think would be perfect for you. It is an easy an entertaining read that along the way answers these kind of new guy questions. You can find it at Amazon and Lulu for a few dollars.

PS. At Amazon, it's an "and" instead of "an" in the title.
Chaneduh

Post by Chaneduh »

Thanks Togo, Ilooked at it a bit and I think I'll get it pretty soon
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No, it's supposed to be "and."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Togo Galthus

Post by Togo Galthus »

Ops, sorry! That's what happens when you assume rather than read. Thanks for pointing it out!
LtTibbles

Post by LtTibbles »

I provided my group (all first time players) with some graph paper and a bit of the dungeon that they had explored drawn on it to give them an idea of how they should map. They took to it really quickly, I also bought one of those wet erase chessex battle maps from amazon to help them with visualizing combat. They're all big on video games so they loved the more "Tactical View" but you can get along just fine with theater of the mind which we use also for fights that aren't very complicated (or if we're just feeling too lazy to draw out the scenery. :D )

Honestly doing what works for yourself and your group is the most important, as long as everyone at the table (including you!) are enjoying themselves then you're most definitely doing it right!