Initiative tracker

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Initiative tracker

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:55 pm

I've never felt that declaration was important; in the early days, I tried to enforce it, but honestly now I just call out the numbers and see what they come up with.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:05 pm

If declaring and acting were separate, I know my kids would get too confused between declaring what they were intending to do, and then their chance to actually do it, in a different order. I suspect some adults would too, especially after a few beers. I have never played this way with adults so I don't know for sure.

I don't have a problem with just acting in order. When it's a character's go, they just react according to whatever situation is currently happening in the round. So if the dragon is disintegrated, they just don't jump on it, and do something else. A round is ten seconds of screen time, not ten seconds of experiential time, in my view.

'Defending' for the AC bonus is an example of something that would have to be declared at the start of the round, and there are probably a few others, but for most things I'd just play in order, and keep going round in that order. I never re-roll unless it's a duel or a chase or something.
black1blade

Post Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:16 pm

I sometimes loosely enforce it but if they already roll int then I just let the players get on with it. Sometimes though, if I remember "of wait you have to declare actions" after someone (cough-SerGavin-cough) has got a low score then they say it didn't count then uses the opportunity to re-roll it. :roll:
LtTibbles

Post Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:39 am

I use scratch paper myself, but I did notice some of the 5e pictures and streams of a group playing had the dm using some folded over cards or sticky notes lined up on top of his screen designating the initiative order seems like a nifty way to save some space and paper.