NPCs: HD vs hp, and the dice in the name

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
TimothyChenAllen

NPCs: HD vs hp, and the dice in the name

Post by TimothyChenAllen »

I'm a new Game Master, and I'd be grateful for two clarifications on the statistics for Non-Player Characters (NPCs) in the Morgansfort campaign (SPOILER ALERT! Campaign stuff!):

1) NPCs are listed with both HD (Hit Dice) and hp (hit points). Does this mean I don't need to roll the HD to determine their hit points? Why are they listed that way?
For example, on page 14 in the Garrison, the Privates are listed as HD 1, hp 4. Similarly, on page 18, Random Encounters, the Giant Crab Spider is listed as HD2*, hp 13.

2) What is the dice specification in the name for?
For example, on page 18, Random Encounters, one NPC is listed as "1d2 Giant Caecillia (3 total)". Do I use the 1d2 to determine how many there are in the encounter? What is the "3 total" for?

I'm sure I just missed something when I read this, but I could not find the answer on re-reading. I appreciate your help. Thanks! :D
Metroknight

Re: NPCs: HD vs hp, and the dice in the name

Post by Metroknight »

TimothyChenAllen wrote:I'm a new Game Master, and I'd be grateful for two clarifications on the statistics for Non-Player Characters (NPCs) in the Morgansfort campaign (SPOILER ALERT! Campaign stuff!):

1) NPCs are listed with both HD (Hit Dice) and hp (hit points). Does this mean I don't need to roll the HD to determine their hit points? Why are they listed that way?
For example, on page 14 in the Garrison, the Privates are listed as HD 1, hp 4. Similarly, on page 18, Random Encounters, the Giant Crab Spider is listed as HD2*, hp 13.
The HD is for you to know about combat attack bonuses and saves. The hp is there for your convenience. Monsters have attack bonuses usually at their HD and they save usually at fighter(HD). This info helps you find and note their info faster.
TimothyChenAllen wrote:
2) What is the dice specification in the name for?
For example, on page 18, Random Encounters, one NPC is listed as "1d2 Giant Caecillia (3 total)". Do I use the 1d2 to determine how many there are in the encounter? What is the "3 total" for?

I'm sure I just missed something when I read this, but I could not find the answer on re-reading. I appreciate your help. Thanks! :D
That is a random encounter and it just means that if you rolled them, do a 1d2 for the amount encounter. The 3 is the total amount to be encounter for the whole game. That means if you encountered 2 the first time then if you encounter them again you can only encounter 1 more.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

For monsters (but not NPCs), the Hit Dice is usually the same as the attack bonus, so it's given for that purpose.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
TimothyChenAllen

Post by TimothyChenAllen »

Ahhh; I understand now. Thanks for the clarification! By the way; great system. I'm taking my 13 y/o son and his friends through Morgansfort now, and it's a terrific experience. :D