New-ish here and thought I'd finally say hello

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Kheten

New-ish here and thought I'd finally say hello

Post by Kheten »

Hello all. Been a lurker here for some time but never had the nerve to say hello. Think it is about time I changed that.

First, a bit about me. Grew up on 2nd ed. AD&D, but it was the black box in the 90s that introduced me to the wonderful world of roleplaying games. I've stuck close to D&D and fantasy games in general, but occasionally dipped into other games and genres. Even wanted to write materials under the OGL, but I kinda got burned out on that idea because I was trying to make it perfect.

When I first ran across Basic Fantasy I liked what I saw. It reminded me of that old black box from years ago but with some welcome changes. However, it was only when I got the physical book that I got really excited about it. Reading it made me remember the fun I had with writing stuff for fun. I believe that BF kinda re-kindled my desire to write again and not worry too much about game balance or perfection. This is why I decided to introduce myself.

Now with that out of the way, I have a several questions...

1) The Open Game License. I've read the license and think I understand it, but I am still unsure if I do. Is there a site that explains the license in a more easily understandable way?

2) The Workshop. Is the Workshop only for those who are working to get their stuff into a recognized BF product/document? Or can I use it as a place to share my ideas with others?

3) Styles. I've tried using styles in Open Office but can't seem to get it to work. So I'm currently using someone else's document that already has the style. I don't like doing that cause it feels wrong. Has anyone tried to make a blank document with the style already in place for others to use?

4) Fonts. What if I do not have a required font? Is it possible for me to set Open Office to use the missing font and still have it look correct for those that have the font installed?
rredmond

Re: New-ish here and thought I'd finally say hello

Post by rredmond »

Welcome Kheten!
I dig your blog.
I'll let someone else answer your questions, I just wanted to shoot out a welcome!
Be well,
--Ron--
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Welcome!

2-The workshop is where any BF related creation are share, even as an idea, a work in progress or a finished file. The requisites are that it must be for BF and that it must contain something (not just opening a post to say "I want or will do X supplement"). If the file is "good enough" you can earn a Showcase account.

3- Using another's work is the recommended thing for most users, so don't feel bad for that. I have put some time ago a blank .odt file somewhere on the forum.

4- Wait for a couple of days and surely some will send you the fonts used in the supplements.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Kheten wrote: 1) The Open Game License. I've read the license and think I understand it, but I am still unsure if I do. Is there a site that explains the license in a more easily understandable way?

2) The Workshop. Is the Workshop only for those who are working to get their stuff into a recognized BF product/document? Or can I use it as a place to share my ideas with others?

3) Styles. I've tried using styles in Open Office but can't seem to get it to work. So I'm currently using someone else's document that already has the style. I don't like doing that cause it feels wrong. Has anyone tried to make a blank document with the style already in place for others to use?

4) Fonts. What if I do not have a required font? Is it possible for me to set Open Office to use the missing font and still have it look correct for those that have the font installed?
1: I'm not the expert, but basically here on BFRPG we share freely; that means in the OGL license we denote the text, etc. as open content. You just need to be sure to include the correct/needed credits and copyright statements (as well as on the first/title page).

If you were working on your own OGL item and wanted to include paid-for artwork, maps, professional layout, etc. that's when you'd get into Product Identity. But again on here we're of an open and sharing mindset. :)

2: Workshop is free range, the open buffet. If you want help creating your own stuff, you're free to ask for help. If you seek ideas or contributions from others to help complete something, feel free to ask for that as well. Just be sure to give fair credit to them in the document. :)

3: I don't think anyone except Solo has created a document from scratch. ;) We all downloaded an existing ODT and hammered it into whatever worked for us. So long as you make sure the credits at the beginning and in the OGL license are updated and correct you're fine.

4: PM Solo or myself and we'll get you the needed fonts.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... I only created two documents from scratch... the Core Rules and BF1. :D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Most of the fonts can be found online, though having them emailed to you is a much better solution. I found Century Gothic, Soutane, Soutane Black, FrizQuadrata, and FrizQuadrata BT online. I think that's the entire list of the fonts. I think I also saw one called AuntJudy in a supplement or two.

As far as writing supplements, I open the .odt of Morgansfort for writing adventure supplements, then just delete the title page and re-style the first page. For other supplements, I'll find a supplement written by Smoot, Dimirag, or Solomoriah and just start editing.
Last edited by shadowmane on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kheten

Post by Kheten »

Thanks for answering my questions and everything, much appreciated. Now let's see if I can write up some of my ideas into a more presentable manner.

Oh, one last question. I know Basic Fantasy is a fantasy game, but can we write material for other genres for it? Like writing some rules on using BF for playing in modern day setting? Maybe even sci-fi? I don't plan on trying to cover everything, that would be to much for me, but more focused on characters then anything else. The main inspiration for this idea came from watching the X-Files and wondering how they'd be written into BF and I'd thought it would be a neat thing to try.

And one more last question. Can I use the word Basic in the title?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

There have been attempts on doing different genres but never reached full consensus... take a shot at whatever you what to do. Some of my suggestions:

-Don't worry for the format until needed, just write write write, heck, don't worry for doing the file, put your ideas directly on the thread until you reach the point in which it needs to be put on a file.
-Post/upload continuously, don't wait until the file is finished or until you've made tons of modification, the sooner you show the current state of the file the sooner you'll get feedback, and you give us less of new things to watch and you'll have less to change from upload to upload.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
axum_maldoran

Post by axum_maldoran »

i'm new too. hello. and welcome.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Welcome aboard.