Backgrounds, Specialties, and Quasi Classes-

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Backgrounds, Specialties, and Quasi Classes-

Post by Solomoriah »

Use the Fighter progression as a numerical base. I created all four tables based on that one, then "smoothed" the numbers to remove odd-looking results. Since Fighter is the base, it's where you should start.

Don't worry about "smoothing" the results in your system.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

_TS_ feel free to upload whatever you have done until now, it might make it easier for us to give feedback.

Basing on what Solo said above I made this table:
XP costs.png
XP costs.png (11.76 KiB) Viewed 5496 times
Last edited by Dimirag on Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Nicely done.
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

A whine:

The thing that the building your perfect class articles are n't doing, and ticking me off, is providing the base percentages for Thieves' Skills, nor the percentage increase value. I've a 'per percentage point' cost for each of them, and a host of other skill type things, including a d% based Turning ability (and Magical Research). So, when I see the simple assignment of 400 points, I am trying to fit the base percentages and an individual increase scheme into those 400 points, and it is not easy. :(
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

Solo and Dimi,

Thanks. That will help. :D
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The files gives you a cost for the base of each thing, and then it increases per level with no associated cost.

Having something similar to the alternative thieving skill progression rule is an alternative take, I can see where the maths problems comes
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The alternative thief advancement in the "Dealing with Players" section of the Core Rules tracks exactly how the advancement in the game works using the normal table. I suggest you make the "alternative" method the default in your rules.

You may need to figure out some way to "scale" the numbers to handle multiple different skills. It's a thorny problem, honestly, and I look forward to seeing your take on it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

One possible way is to give a certain amount of points per a defined XP value and then use them as per the optional rule. The thing is that the higher the level, the higher the XP cost but the fewer the % increases.

I would take either the route from the perfect class or one with no levels and free purchases. So I'm really interested in seeing how you resolve this and how you tackle the cost of non-per-level upgrades.
_Timeshadows_

Post by _Timeshadows_ »

I think I've licked the Thieves' Skills, and the starting percentages come to 400 points, but I've included Read Dead Languages, and Read Magic Scroll from the Advanced rules to make the math work. ;)

Solo,
Thanks for the heads up on the Fighter XP progression being the core. I had initially averaged all four progressions, then smoothed it out to 1,500 at 2nd Lvl, which I think I will keep for my game.

Dimi,
It is a la carte-capable or Progression-capable, and I think you'll see how it is both when I'm ready to unveil it. Think of it as a running tally where earned and spent XP determine one's Level.

SmootRK,
I'm looking forward to totalling the various Quasi-Classes. Ultimately, I'd like to have XP values for all of the Options, and a Kutalik-style random table chain where each option has an associated XP value.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I can imagine it can get pretty complicated when one begins to think in terms of options that one might pick up after a certain level is achieved (mainlyoptions that other classes get at level one). For instance, 9th level Paladin getting clerical spells at that point, or "ad&d1 style ranger getting MU spells at "name" level. Quantifying how much that is worth vs. the level it acquired on.

And then there are (at least in the quasi-classes) some unique abilities. For instance Sage qclass is built around that Knowledge ability. One could play with options too. How many "areas of knowledge", speed of % progression, etc.... or the Confessor ability (I would avoid that one as an option anyone could build classes with, but that is just my opinion).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?